Friday, March 24, 2006

the purge

as i fill and refill my truck, taking loads to the dumpster and charity, i am moved by the great abundance in my life. not only of things i can and willingly part with, but with those i am more reluctant to see go away.

yesterday, purging in earnest, my best friend and i were discussing a great many things. she said to me,
stop saying you are socially inept. that was true yesterday, it is not true today.


and i kept my head down, packing.

she continued,
you are a bright light. you have many friends. others can put their stuff on you but it is immature to think everything is your fault.


her words rang so true, i said,
yes, thank you.
if i continue to say, i am socially inept, i am, in effect, determining my course by yesterday's shortcomings.

the force of her words and the anointing over them were precious. i knew it was a moment in time when the Lord would release me from a burden i had laid on myself.

this friend has seen me for seven years in every circumstance. she knows how i behave with my family behind closed doors. she knows my secrets. she has seen me in public. we worked together briefly at a church. she knows whereof she speaks.

i said,
i will just let that pronouncement go out with all this garbage.


yes.
she said.

and so i did. it is not only tangible purging going on, but spiritual housecleaning too. i don't want to go encumbered into the land of promise. and i won't.

No comments: