Tuesday, September 18, 2007

devour them

belly dancing and tai chi classes started again. and while i have no time for them, i enrolled, forcing myself to take time for myself in this crazed autopilot of a schedule which has become my life.

my bohemian of a teacher, thin as a rail, cut like a stallion in his prime, she's a sight to behold.

she's explaining her theory of teaching more now. spent some time at the beginning of class, lecturing, i guess you could call it.

seduce yourself, this dance isn't really about performance.


which is quite the revelation.

mesmerize yourself, and draw others in that way. devour them into the dance.


a phrase i particularly liked.

all this while she is adoring the movement of her hands and arm, up, then down, circling her writsts slightly, tipping her head forward to gaze demurely.

then we start with the isolations and she kicks our asses.

this woman teaches pilates, yoga, belly dancing, pole dancing, and God knows what else. watching her move, she's taken to standing right before new students so they can put their hands on her hips and feel her bones move, that way they get the idea of the dance (i get the idea of the dance, and have not yet once had to hold her hips--which would be weird). though she did hold my hips last class and told me to sit into my hip drop deeper. but my thigh was burning and it was tough. i had been doing lifts and drops for about five minutes at that point. plus, i work out before i go to class.

got weighed and measured last time i went to work out, and i knew i'd fallen off the narrow road to slimmer thighs when work started scheduling me endlessly.

so now, i try to go thrice a week, but end up going as i can.

i try to eat healthful meals, but do the best i can.

it is all better than it was. i am working out more than i was, eating better than i was. and my sins of late shall be forgiven.

besides, winter's coming and i get to pile on the sweaters and purple ugs i love so much, so who's going to notice a few more inches of me?

no one around here, that's for sure.

devour them into the dance.


that is my new motto.

No comments: