Tuesday, September 11, 2007

remember how to fight

perhaps i've never mentioned it, seemed like ancient history since i've been doing this blog thing. but i battled carpal tunnel for a few years in my past. dark years. a time when i could not write. deprive the artist his art and he must adapt or fall apart.

i'm too stubborn to fall apart. not now. not when so much i've wanted is coming together, perhaps not in fullness yet, but it has begun.

i turned in my first paper this past week. some 33 pages when only 4 were required. overkill, yes. but i was writing about poetry. something i can go on and on and on about. my professor, gracious intrepid soul that he is, enjoyed the work and had much helpful input.

of course he got me on the fragments. but i have to ask myself, what is a sentence? a unit of thought or a unit of grammar? if it is a unit of thought, a fragment is also a thoughtunit. a poetic, thoughtunit.

my prof says my fragments create a wonderful rhythm if i would just connect them. since i have to adhere to the rules of grammar, i will oblige. though, i do not know if i can spot them all myself. i must make this known to him. the fragement is as wonderfully whole to me as the grammatically correct sentence.

i come by it honestly being a poet.

i lay down tonight and tried to sleep but could only cry. so i got up to do something other than just blubber the night away. though i must now save my arms and wrists and hands, i can write a bit.

i trust it will be well. that my body is just saying, remember to rest. and rest i do. today, after waking up at 10, i went back to bed and woke up at 2:30. so much for a day off. but at least i'm rested. sleep has been a luxury around here that i don't indulge in often. i sleep because i must, but not because i want to.

there is simply so much going on in my life right now, that i have to creatively hibernate, and for me, that means sleep.

homeschooling in earnest now, it looks to be a good year.

an eaglewatching hike coming up this fall and i can't wait. an all day affair, hope i'm up to it. and my girl too, we will hike an appalachian trail i've wanted to brave for some time now.

but i must go, save my arms.

so if you don't hear from me, this is why. priorities. school first. poetry second. chitchat third.

peace.

No comments: