Sunday, June 15, 2008

twelve hour daze

i can't recall the last time i worked such a long day, i'm fried. my back slightly aches, my feet are relieved to be shod of carpet and no more shoe.

i notice my tendencies to lift heavy boxes, and i find it curious, that when i'm stepping down a six foot ladder with a giant box of cups, that i put it on my head. like a water pot. and carry it to the cage, still on my head, where i load it onto the shelves, into the little storage arrangement i devised.

curious. i feel aboriginal at times like that. i guess it's as close as i'll ever get to watering someone's horse from a well. so be it.

had my interview today, and it went well.

we'll definately be in touch,
they said.

the drive wasn't horrendous, and i couldn't see beyond the moment, so i decided to let my gut tell me. to feel the place out, literally. do the drive and see if i could live with it.

though i did see a little chipmunk slowly dying in the road. i've never run over an animal before, but as i watched his tail twitching as i drove by (i couldn't tell as i'd approached how long he'd been there, or if his tail were caught in the breeze), but it weren't he was agonizing. and i contemplated going back, and prayed for a quick end to his suffering.

i wouldn't know how to end his life, short of driving over him, and that seemed something i couldn't do, so i drove home, well, not home actually, but to work. my current place of employ, hardly home by any stretch of the imagination.

i'm done, and when i'm done, there is nothing else to say or do. it's over.

so, i'm feeling revived, (or was five hours ago when i went back to work), that soon, it will all be just a memory. my time at this place. it was a necessary place for me to grow. and as i sat and laughed, genuinely, with the new manager, and soon to be ex-manager, i knew it was something i need to do. to leave this place so close to home and start somewhere fresh.

i don't know why i was there, but i will certainly miss the people. even the uncomfortable ones. they grow us, perhaps more than those we cozy up next to.

i'm tired, must vegetate immediately, but fortunately, for this last minute shift (which will be time and a half, plus a bonus for time served above and beyond the call of duty on a sunday). that makes me happy.

and that it worked out for me to get to sit with the poets i love. the poets i love. the poets i love. tomorrow.

then the farm, then the beach wednesday.

all in all, shaping up to be a fine week.

huzzah.

No comments: