Friday, December 23, 2005

lifeline

after reading Henri Nouwen's "Remain Anchored in Your Community," from The Inner Voice of Love

caving
caverns
of the
heart

keep me
tethered
here

when i
launch
out in
service

you are
__my
lifeline

belay me
__pull
me back

if i
plunge
into
sorrows

too profound
you are
___my
lifeline

lead me
to safety
only
after

letting
____me
_____go


who knows what makes a poem come. but i am certainly glad it is here. i wrote something about a passage emerson wrote where he says all poetry was written before time. i do not think it such an odd statement, especially when espousing my contemplative technique. i listen for poetry. and if the Lord loved me from BEFORE the foundations of the earth, if He is truly omnipresent, omnipotent, omniscient, then He knows each word before i write it, each thought before i think it. and emerson does not seem so far-fetched. i can embrace his transcendent view and it comforts me.

No comments: