Monday, November 29, 2004

a spot of poetry

can't sleep. so i got up to write a bit. i write these sometimes redundant collections of poems when i write, and while i won't be posting everything i hath just writ, i will say, i notice how my ideas congeal and really take form by the last little verse. i have some thoughts to share on how i am currently butchering the sonnet form (challenged to write a sonnet by a friend of mine is proving to be a herculean task! it is too cognitive and i am too primitive cramming words into the form like some australopithecine--hey look, she can use tools, great, but a stick is hardly noteworthy).

anyway, i am tired. rambling. but here is a little ditty i just wrote (another brief aside, i will try to dredge something less "dark" out of my manuscripts to post in the coming days, for those of you who grow weary of my melancholy nature).

ii kings vi:xvii

Too long
These many prayers
Unanswered
Too close
These many foes
Undaunted
_________I cannot help
_________but tremble.


one more then i must away...


untitled


when day is over
darkness falls
all i love lie sleeping
the distractions
of the day have ceased
my mind starts
racing
heartbeat quickens
and i tremble
wondering if
You, Lover of my soul,
will be like so many
who have left me
longing
through the years
will You, like so many
leave me
promises unfulfilled
have i hung my hope
upon foolishness
or will You prove true?
no one can settle this
question
_____save You.


and this of another topic, i wrote on 21 nov 04, i forced myself to write it (if it reads stilted somehow), i've been in this poetic dryspell. where the poetry has been lacking and i just wanted to get it flowing again...here it is:

untitled


like a book
whose spine
has separated
from the binding
the many pages
held together
by my hand
the spine lay
useless
a reminder
of the many days
gone by
many years
i held you
bound
worn by affection
i hesitate to retire
one so familiar
so comforting
so broken

No comments: