Saturday, April 09, 2005

last of the melancholy

the day before, i wrote this. i sat with an exceptional book i am honored to review (jan winebrenner's the grace of catastrophe) and a kite, tangled, crying out in the wind called to me. i closed the book and here is what i wrote:

a kite
tangled
high
atop
the tree
out of
__reach
longing to be
carried
upon
the wind
grasped
by piercing
fingers
hope
seems
lost
i have
been
abandoned
from where
will
my liberation
come

and
when?


the thing about being in community is this. the poets i now know write with such eloquence, such beauty that it makes me look at my simple verse and as i dust them off and send them out into the world, i wonder if they will find a place in your heart, or if that alone is reserved for the eloquent.

Carry
Me
Away
Gusting
God
Tangled
Terrestrial
I long
To fly
Again
Carry
Me
Away
Fierce
Wind
Let
Me
Soar
Again

we held our breaths until the paperwork was actually in hand, but now, the great relief allows me to tell you the day before is, the day before my husband got a job. hallelujah!

the long dark night is over.

there is a cloud the size of a fist on the horizon, the drought has at long last, ended. i must run and tell the King.

No comments: