Wednesday, September 13, 2006

everything stinks

it stinks mom,
my daughter kept saying, i would reply,
welcome to new york, everything stinks.
and by the grins and chuckles i heard from passers by, i probably wasn't too far off the mark.

standing at the subway station, looking at the black muck on the walls and ceilings, i thought, there is really no way for them to ever get this clean. Lord knows what you get in your lungs down here breathing.

a friend i met recently told me, he went to the doctor and got an xray. his lungs look like a smoker's. the doctor asked,
do you smoke?


no, never.
he replied.

do you live in the city?


yes,
he said.

ah, city lungs.


that they have a name for it, should not surprize anyone. but that it is as bad or worse than a heavy smoker is pretty tragic. considering how many people out there must be huffing and puffing around town with citylungs. i try not to think of this as i watch the half hour buffer for us to get to the museum from penn station tick away.

we are joined on the platform by a young tattooed couple. she was shapely, not overmuch, not artificially, but healthfully. he was strong and wise. his arms had all kinds of designs, sleeves, as they are called, but i didn't want to stare. that's the thing, i get so interested in observing people i act like i'm at the zoo and they are in cages.

so our train finally, finally arrives. we had to catch the E train downtown headed toward the world trade center. where the young couple were headed. we needed to get off a stop earlier, at spring street.

i found a map, got my bearings, and got off at the right exit. they followed. the conductor stuck his head out the window and said,
catch the next E train
as he pulled away. they shouldn'ta got off but they followed me. and we were running late so i couldn't stay to apologize. i felt terrible.

we walked an entire city block to varick and couldn't figure out where we needed to be. so the person we ask says,
i have no idea.
(which at least she didn't just give us some random directions).

so we literally run back to the subway and find spring street (which was my first mistake, not finding the street we needed to begin with), turns out, we ran around 3 sides of that city block and across two streets to the location. we were wiped when we got there. both of us huffing and puffing, you know, i'm no runner. my kid even less.

the tour had begun, but apparently we didn't miss much. we were at the nyc fire museum and they had a faces of ground zero exhibit going on. my beloved and i had agreed telling our girl about 9/11 before going into town was not the best idea, since she was so young when it happened, and we hadn't enlightened her since.

but on the train that morning from jersey i said,
now baby, there may be some words you don't understand. twin towers, 9/11, 343. i'll explain those to you later.


she looks at me with her precious innocence,
i know about september 11.


really?
i said,
where did you find out?


now this is always a precarious time when questioning children and reporters. will they reveal their sources? so i tried to keep the tone jovial.

tell me baby, i'd like to know.


my friends told me last week.


really, what did they say?


she told me they told her one building fell into the other and they both fell down.

i explained the whole situation to her. everything. i told her where she was, where we were, all that happened, and why we didn't tell her.

she said,
i wasn't going to tell you because i didn't think you knew.


ah!
i said,
you can tell us anything. and you'll be surprized by what we know.


we also talked about pearl harbor. and she was asking questions but i could only provide spotty info. so i said,
we'll have to read up on it.


meanwhile, we're headed into the big city and i'm trying not to scare the kid.

we read all the placards on the ten foot (if not larger) photos of the faces of ground zero and she was very sad. but it was a good experience.

so we're at this park with the homeschoolers, and hear an explosion. silence and then the glass of the windows rumble.

we all jumped. the moms in the park who were clearly from the area, said,
don't worry. it's nothing. construction. they demolished a building.


but that was not where i wanted to be any longer. it was freaky. and we'd just come from the museum. i was talking to a lady there who said,
that was not okay, just having that noise and the moment of uncertainty.

she told me she doesn't watch the news anymore (since 9/11, she lives in the city), or read the paper, or ever look at the cover of the times. her daughter was one year old when it all happened and she hadn't told her either. (which made me feel a bit better) but i really hadn't thought about living in the shadow of it. wow.

my dear female minister friend told me she went out into the community and reassured people. she is a very reassuring presence. but i can't imagine what it was like actually living through it. she lived in queens then.

more later, i must away. peace.

2 comments:

Miss Audrey said...

Take me to the city Suz. All the sights, the sounds, the stink. For years I dreamed of the city. Then when I actually went there I was not disappointed. We went to Delancy St. or Delany (I don't rememember which) to go shopping. We (my hubby and I) only got a few feet from our sporty little pick up truck when hubby sees these two guys casing the thing, and us too for that matter, and off we go to get out of there!

I laughed out loud at a guy that was playing a song on his briefcase with a headset on when he reached a cresendo and was banging away on that old case and hubby got angry. Said I was going to get us shot... he's a true city boy, born in Brooklyn. We was on the subway.

I loved the dirt and the grime and the crowded streets. I especially loved the way I could look down the streets and all of the tall buildings. So narrow, and yet so stately and impersonal. And all the people! I loved the shuffle of all of the people! Different sizes and shapes and clothes of all colors all busy about their own business. Some guys with briefcases. Ladies in heels and pretty dresses. Sandles and shorts. Hats and sunglasses. So many people!

A guy stopped me on a corner and told me that I have beautiful eyes. I was flattered. Hubby stepped between the stranger and I and whisked me away. I felt like a little kid being drug away from an adventure. He pulled me away and I looked over my shoulder and the man was gone...

My hip got to aching so. I could hardly walk. Right in the middle of 66th and Lexington Ave. I asked hubby to please slow down. "I think I might be pregnant."

Hubby stopped completely. Now, that is not exactly what I wanted him to do right there in the middle of New York City! I forgot that the man didn't have any children. I had been raising mine for years... "My baby is telling me that she thinks that she might be pregnant! Right here in the middle of 66th and Lexington Avenue!" (That's how I rememeber so well where I was.) Needless to say, hubby was pleased. Me, I was just hurting! Hurting and disappointed that my body was letting me down! I wanted to walk forever!

My little girl knew about 9/11. She watched in horror right beside me as it all unfolded on TV. I have a picture that she drew. She was in preschool. It was of an airplane and the plane was crashing into the tower... Sad day. Tragic really. And so very sad.

I love the city. I'm sure that they wrote the song, NEW YORK, NEW YORK just for me.

I love your stories.

siouxsiepoet said...

yeah, i think life is an adventure to aud, but nearly getting mugged isn't my idea of a good time. i'm glad your hubby was on the watch out. mine has an eagle eye as well. he's always trying to retrain my artist's perspective to actual wariness. but i never quite get there. i see more through the eyes of trust.

love your stories, too.