Tuesday, September 26, 2006

loving you.

it doesn't take a genius to figure i'd get sick being perched on rocks in wafting skirts and flip flops in the snow. so i spent the better part of yesterday in a medicated sleep. but a conversation i had over the weekend brooded over me.

worship as art is a precarious thing. i've only taken the peformance role three times now and it doesn't seem to be getting any easier. i trust, that if the Lord would have me dance it will all work out.

judith took my coffee captive, and bade me go where i would not. to sessions. i followed her and all ends well, i got to dance for the close of the session. those three minutes nearly killed me. my lungs felt like they got gridlock and my throat couldn't open fast enough to suck in the air.

i exited the room before the dance ended because i don't like to be there for the kindly remarks afterward. (i feel the same about when i read poetry. i just leave.)

so i manage to avoid people, because i just don't know what to say when they tell me whatever it is they want to tell me about the dance. by dinner time, i'm feeling myself again.

so i sit at the feet of a female poet. who looks at me and says,
i loved watching you dance.


thank you.


i could see your soul. and i loved watching every move you made. i don't even know you, but i love you.
her eyes were welling up as she spoke. she continued,

i thought, i should be worshipping, but love is worship. so i just loved you as you danced. you must have studied.

i've had no formal training.

you must have absorbed it from watching others then?

no, i don't watch others dance.

then your intuitive dance is beautiful. your lines just flow. some of your moves are those of trained dancers.


i just smiled and listened. i've never really had anyone say these kinds of things to me in real time, face to face. it felt like a God moment.

like He was looking back at me and saying,
daughter, i love watching you dance.

2 comments:

Miss Audrey said...

You know Suz, you steal my breath away sometimes. I can see you dance in my spirit. I dance. Not often aloud, but sometimes. Not so much anymore as I'm aging and the catching of the breath or worse, is disconcerting. I understand the language of the dance. I understand the motion of pure emotion. I understand the oneness of spirit and body and soul. Mine wouldn't be an awkward novice pow-wow dance,(as I am reminded of a time that you were at a gathering and mentioned how some had no business attempting to dance) no, more of a waving of scarves with beautiful colors all silken and flowing. I could be young and I could dance, forever...

siouxsiepoet said...

yes, dance sister, dance. don't worry about how you look. though i do cover up completely, but i mostly cover up completely anyway. floor length skirts are my ideal.

i don't watch others dance and don't particularly care what they are doing as long as they are worshipping God. that is the point for me anyway.

feeling a bit better, but tomorrow dodge starts, and i'll be busy for four days with that.

four days of poetry. can't wait.
suz.