Wednesday, May 30, 2007

the art of seduction

last night at belly dancing we worked on isolations. the head, the shoulders, the rib cage, the hips, all moving at separate times independent of each other. it is quite a feat if you can master these moves.

our class, some twenty five plus women at the beginning was six (seven if you include my daughter who now joins us), last night. it has dwindled considerably. i wanted to try out some moves so i turned on my mp3 player and belly danced to metallica.

the instructor was pleased to hear this.

after class, i told her,
if people complain about your teaching style, it is because they are wanting a choreographed routine. they want to be told what to do. not what you're doing.


i know.
she said.

you're a theorist.


yes, i am giving them the pieces to put together however they want. belly dancing is like art, it has to come from within, so i was glad to hear you are going to dance to metallica.


exactly,
i said.
i get it. i am grateful for what you're doing. you're giving us the essence of belly dancing. the others just don't get it.


thank you.
she said, and left with a huge smile.

i have to help any bohemian out i can. i hope to find some bohemian way to make a living on my own someday. she's doing it. she'll be opening a pole-dancing/belly dancing studio at the end of the year, and while i likely won't be here to enjoy it, i will help her in the way that i help people best, with editing.

i will do your flyers or any advertising papers you need for your new business, just let me know.


great,
she said.

here again, i am helping the way that i can help. i have thought so much about this, about how one little seeming insignificant person helps another and great things happen (granted those things don't seem to be clicking in my life yet, the great things, but in some ways they are, i'm probably incredibly blessed and just can't see it). but i give all i have, these meager talents to whomever will have them (especially those i love) and hope and pray, when i need a helping hand, there is one outstretched in my general direction.

i have never been let down.

the thing that strikes me about my belly dancing teacher is she is teaching from her heart. not just giving the people what they want. some may chalk this up as failure, but i've been there every week, and i've learned so much about the theory of belly dancing. the art of seduction.

i hope when i teach some day in the distant (or near) future, i have the courage to teach from my heart, even if it is not what the people "want" or think they want. this makes sense to me, but it is not and never has been an effective strategy. very few get it. most will grumble and complain. chalking it up to the "bad" teacher. but they don't see. they just cannot see. will i teach the blind with such courage when i teach? i can only hope so.

my dear friend said i could dance for her and her husband. i think i may just have to take her up on it since i've got to try my hand at it. she doesn't like metallica, but i think she's just never heard metallica the way i hear metallica. combined with the dance, it will be awesome. i can't wait to try it out.

i have some actual bd music, but it doesn't make me want to move like m does. on that note, there is this particular metallica song that has meanings most won't get, but i have to share them:

Nothing Else Matters
from the Black Album
[HETFIELD/ULRICH/HAMMET]

So close no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters

Never opened myself this way
Life is ours, we live it our way
All these words I don't just say
And nothing else matters

Trust I seek and I find in you
Every day for us something new
Open mind for a different view
And nothing else matters

Never cared for what they do
Never cared for what they know
But I know

So close no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trusting who we are
And nothing else matters

Never cared for what they do
Never cared for what they know
But I know

Never opened myself this way
Life is ours, we live it our way
All these words I don't just say
And nothing else matters

Trust I seek and I find in you
Every day for us something new
Open mind for a different view
And nothing else matters

Never cared for what they say
Never cared for games they play
Never cared for what they do
Never cared for what they know
And I know

So close no matter how far
Couldn't be much more from the heart
Forever trusting who we are
No nothing else matters

1 comment:

Miss Audrey said...

Those words are great. I'm not much for heavy metal though so I'd still miss out. I like calm. Such is life. Such is me.