Wednesday, October 31, 2007

windowseats

one of my favorite things to do when i fly, when i ride in trains and cars, is to lose myself in the scenery out the window. my mind dances across the deserts and on mountain peaks, great thoughts germinate and seem to sprout while i'm looking out over the world in my various travels.

even to the grocery store. i am lost in the trees and mountains of our drive.

on every flight now without exception, since my daughter discovered the joy of a window seat (no more cramming her uncomfortably between me and some stranger, which in never liked much anyway, but i do find it odd that the only place a stranger will rest their arm against yours is in a plane--something about no options), she sits at the window and does what i used to do. stick my face in the opening and dance on the scenery.

i can't see out.

it made me realize last night, we give up windowseats for our children, so they can see, so they can find their own way in this vast wasteland that is a world. though i'm not down on the world right now.

our first red-eye from california, and i'm not sure if i slept. my mind was so active, it's hard to know if i was asleep or just had my eyes shut. it's a strange feeling, i wonder if it's like being in a coma.

we make it all the way to seacaucus junction and there we are stuck for an hour and change because the scant train service at the wee hours of the morning. but it was well. i went to buy a coffee and couldn't even comprehend the amount (i don't function when i'm wiped). but finally managed to bungle my way through that.

on the train home, i folded in half over her backpack, she had her head in the small window, and passed out on the very short ride. train rides, plane rides, when one needs sleep are never long enough. but it was enough to give me strength, shall we say, to walk home.

once home, to pillow, 8am-2pm passed like a heartbeat, that is how i know i slept. but now, i'm in a groggy grey that needs to get moving. i don't go back to work for a couple days, and for that, i am grateful.

my girl and her dad will roam the streets tonight and i will probably go workout and start trying to undo what my indulgent vacation has done.

but i had a lovely time. a lovely time.
i shall mention the firestorm later.

peace.

No comments: