Monday, June 21, 2004

anguish as art

dave long commented on a movie, 21 grams, that anguish was mistaken as art.

of course that got me thinking. my anguish is usually a catalyst for my art. i can't wait until that is no longer the case. i have doubts that i will understand or function in the elation as art category. i will try though.

now i am contemplating art in general. it will be stuck, as fulghum says, like a burr on my mental socks for a while.

clearly i have a lot of growing to do.

what is art?

who decides what is merely anguish and what is art?

i am reminded of a recent comment i made, to some other brilliant person i unwittingly am in communication with, i said, from pain are wrought the greatest poems. i've read some horribly painful stuff from others and it was beautiful art in my opinion. where is the line, what is the distinction?

it must be another one of those totally subjective factors in art.

it reminds me of the blind man, bartimaeus i think his name was, he was screaming, Lord Jesus Christ, Son of David, have mercy on me (my paraphrase).

and everyone around him was going, shhh. you're embarrassing us!

when Jesus stopped and said, "who is calling?" (again, my paraphrase)

all the people around him were patting him on the back as if they'd been supporting him the whole time. "look, the Master calls for you."

i hope i don't kick any blind bartimaei in my path. i probably will, i probably have. but i hope i soon learn to stand beside them and scream with all my might for mercy.

because i sure need it.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Anguish as art and anguish being transformed into art seem to me to be two different things. Anguish may be the impetus to create an expressive work of meaning and beauty. That art may reveal something about our common humanity. It's another thing to merely reproduce the anguish in all its dissarray and call it art.

Do you read the Ragamuffin Diva? She has some good posts over the last couple of days. I hope she reads you, too. Both of you have that quality of writing from the depths.

D

David said...

I'd go again to a paraphrase of Potok in Lev. "Millions of people feel anguish. Art is whether or not there is a scream in you wanting to get out in a special way."

"Truth communicated" is one way of looking at Art. In the movie I commented on, I felt no sense of "truth."