Thursday, June 17, 2004

breath of God

i wasn't going to blog until deborah got back from her Write! Canada conference, because i think she is the only one who reads this.

but i am sitting here, tears streaming down my face and i thought i'd share this with you, since this is how i write, when i am moved. not when i "find" a market to write for.

i have a great many doubts about my work ever getting published. it is edgy, raw, passionate. kind of like my blog. maybe more like me than anything i've ever written. i debate on self-publishing all the time. i sit there and list the merits in my mind, i must admit TOTAL control over the product is huge on my list.

today i was asking God, so if i have a lame cover and just produce the thing, can you bless it?

of course He can.

then i get an email from a new friend who has seen a sample of this piece i am compiling. as i am reading her words, i am seeing glimmers of my own. at the end, she told me God has been using my words to speak to her.

astounding. humbling. thank You God.

all i want to do is catch the breath of God on a page. then i realize, i want to catch the breaDth of God on a page as well. He is unmanagable. He is uncageable. He is more than i can think or comprehend, so how can i ever accomplish this? in bits and pieces i hope.

i wrote back to my friend and said. "He is a furniture rearranger." it was weird. but so am i. so i left it. and pushes send. all my doubts about my weirdness plagued my mind at that moment.

then she emailed back, i used those very words in praying to God years ago.

coincidence? or God?

i do not feel so yielded, so given over to God that He makes me write the things i do, but i pray every day to yield more. to listen more. to give myself over to Him more. in these moments, when He speaks to His child through me, i hope again.

who knows what tomorrow holds. but if obscurity is it for me, may it be a yielded, God praising obscurity. may i pen the words He gives me and send them to those He wants to read them.

the rest will take care of itself. i serve a big God and catching His breath on a page is all i ever want to do. may i comprehend and begin to catch His breadth as well.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Suz,
What a great post to start my Sunday morning in a devotional frame of mind. That hunger and yearning you have to capture the breath ---I want to capitalize Breath of God, and BreaDth---is something that anyone who shares that hunger feels a sense of confirmation and encouragement on reading your posts. So, I see in my mind's eye a compilation of your short essays and poems as a form of devotional literature that other contemporary mystics who long for Jesus and will not accept any substitutes will identify with and cherish.

It's good to be back in the blogosphere.