Friday, December 10, 2004

crumbs upon the path

i may not have mentioned this before, but when i see my syntax or words i have used in life, or hear them, i stop and smile. that moment then becomes to me a crumb of bread on the path of life and i know i am headed in the right direction. expecially since my syntax is not too common from the books i've read. i have heard some prophets say, dejavu is the same deal.

hannah whitall smith's God of all comfort is an excellent read, and she used the phrase, we none of us. i used that phrase in a poem just after my grams death. it spoke to me.

yesterday as i was shelling pecans for a pie, weirdest thing about my pecan pies is my gelatinous filling sinks to the bottom and the crust rises. topsy-turvy like my life. maybe i need to prebake the crust or something.

back to my story, as i was shelling pecans i flipped on amc, they were airing: bruce lee: a warrior's journey. i like martial arts, i like sumo (japanese sumo, sumo in america is horrifying). i am fascinated with all things asian (african too).

anywhoo, i am watching and bruce lee's story goes, he opens this little dojo and ends up having three of his students win all the karate competitions in one year, each wins the grand championship, and one wins two years in a row. among the notables who were his students, you may already know this, i didn't: chuck norris and kareem abdul jabar (i would have liked kareem more had i known this, instead of walking out of his last game w/the lakers early due to boredom!).

okay, so bruce is finally experiencing success, so what does he do?

shuts down all three of his dojos and walks away, hoping his students have learned well.

that speaks to me. money was never the driving force behind bruce lee's success. conveying a message was.

makes me wonder, what message am i conveying and am i willing to modify it to make the bucks, or lose the bucks to convey the message? it is a delicate balance. one i hope these trying times helps teach me.

this week, as i completed richard foster's freedom of simplicity, i've been fond of saying, if this experience doesn't change my insatiable western appetite, nothing will.

No comments: