Friday, December 24, 2004

the grinch returns!

last year i was so upset after christmas, so fed up with my own ungrateful heart that i proclaimed a revolution.

one friend said, that is so violent.

yes, i said and smiled, i wanted to throw down anything that got between me and God. to find Him. to go higher.

i can honestly say i don't know if i've gone higher. for all my brave words and talk of revolution, i do not know if i have ascended one mole hill above where i was last year.

i have a few friends who can tell me. but they will be gracious and i will say thank you and wonder.

my mom and sister will tell me. but they too will be gracious and i will say thanks. and still wonder.

this is not about not receiveing compliments, this is about wanting some tangible, undeniable proof that i have come up higher. that i have come to know the heart of God better. do i? really?

can you ever know if you've got a better handle on the inscrutable God, the unsearchable One, the Sovereign King. or is it when you've lost the ability to handle Him, which, admittedly, this year i have done. i've turned Him loose and watched Him run.

He is shadowfax who has ever and always been my ally and carried me through many dangers. His running is poetry. it is right.

this year, until two days ago when my mom sent us a package of gifts there was only two things under the tree, a candle my daughter made for me at girl scouts and a small package sent by my dear missionary friends.

i am asking myself, why is this bothering me? this is right. christmas isn't about gifts and presents. it isn't about shopping. although everyone everywhere seems to think so. i turned on the weather channel to get the weather report and twice within the first thirty seconds on that channel, they asked about or mentioned christmas shopping.

christmas is a marketing conspiracy and i don't know how to get around that. our whole culture is steeped in it. and i can't find Jesus in any of it. the kids did a nice little play and sang songs about Jesus' birth, but the weeks of preparation were frustrating and i dreaded going to deal with "those kids." i was relieved when it was over (how Christlike of me).

last year i decided if i never celebrated christmas again, i would be happy. but my seven year old decorated this year, and i sit in the glowing, flashing lights wondering, what the heck does this have to do with the birth of Christ Jesus my beloved Saviour? what?

i can't figure it out. i can't find Jesus in it all and it breaks my heart. the fact that i felt better when there was more than two things under our tree breaks my heart. i've come to understand my frame is but dust this year. i've come to understand my humanity. but it doesn't make it any easier.

and why are christians so opposed to saying happy holidays? to me, i would say: happy holYdays. these are supposed to be holy days, aren't they? i think that would mean more to me than merry christmas ever did.

have holy days friends, consider Jesus. tell me how to find Him again, i feel trapped in a season that is a marketing consipracy and i don't want to play anymore. i just want Jesus. i just want to go higher.

may you find Him as well.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

From Under The Altar


When all is said and done
at the end where the circle
begins again
the buying and selling
the marrying and giving in marriage
as in the days of Noah
before the flood

When all is said and done
and the book of meanings
mighty tome be closed again

Will there be anyone looking
expecting watching for
another door to open
the clouds and sky to part
like the sea before Moses

Will anyone not sating mindless
insatiable lust
or lost in violence of blood
look skyward with longing and understanding
and child-like trust
ready to meet the master O Lord
on your return?

Or will you only find
a dead world to burn?

Fire rises from the coals
circles licking round the fresh log
tasting it
then hungrily devours

Who can tame this appetite?
The conflagration of each feeding
warms my hearth for hours

How long, O Lord?

My love seeks living trees to redeem
and nurture

Summer voices sing to.


By C. Van Gorkom

siouxsiepoet said...

lovely poem charles. just lovely. thank you for sharing it. suz

siouxsiepoet said...

my sister writes me this and it was so encouraging, wise, and honest, i thought i'd share it:

Hear, Hear! I wholeheartedly agree!! That was a very meaningful blog.

I feel the same way. I just don't get this society, this decade, or this particular community. Imagine how you feel about the commercialization of Christmas multiplied many times over. That's how it is here. In this place. In this part of the state. There are so many here with so much money, and so little of anything else. It is sad really. I find myself feeling bad. What's up with that? Why would Christmas make one feel bad? Because we've got it all wrong, that's why.

I have been keeping a Christmas log for the last few years detailing what we did right, what went wrong. How can it be better next year. I have consistently written the same thing you just expressed. More God. More meaning. This year I thought it would be better. We scaled down. Attempted to not go crazy with the gift thing. But this year my comments would be the same.

We did make a baby Jesus this year, and a manger for the mantle. I intended to really talk about that night with the kids. Hold the baby in our arms, express our thanks. What would it have been like that night? If we were there? If we were just ordinary people who saw the commotion and peeked in to see what was happening? To hear that Jesus, the Saviour was born. Would we have brought gifts? Would we have been thankful? Or to have been one of the Wise Men, knowing who was being born and coming to honor him in our own little way. It was a huge thing. Were they aware of how huge? Did they know Him?

Instead I was knee deep in tamale masa and gingerbread dough, cursing the day I took on the traditions. Then there was cleaning to be done as we were expecting guests, they didn't show. Finally I collapsed on the couch with a horribly aching back realizing that my Mother in Law's Christmas Eve tradition of Mass and Sushi at a restaurant may not be such a bad idea. No stress, no mess.....

Hmmm... I don't know what it takes to really find Him. To know Him. I don't know what it will take for the world to understand either. If you ever figure it out please let me know.

I love you!!!! g