Friday, January 08, 2010

begin again

i didn't make a new year's resolution, i forgot. this was not my typical year, and i have been busy doing other things. maybe somewhere down the road it will come up, but it feels the moment has passed and i didn't have one, so i didn't make one. don't like tradition anyway, gets too predictable.

begin again was the mantra for last year. don't remember if i had a resolution then either, it was a difficult time for me. now, it's not so much difficult as different. engaging in pleasurable ways.

what's to come?

not sure. i will begin with a mentor who was not my first choice, but that is fine. i'm cool with it. i had resigned myself to fate and wanted to see the mystery unfold. and so it will. it always does.

i've been writing a lot, and again i have to decide whom i can trust with the most delicate stories of my life.

i feel that way about every poem i write, it's not just these, but these are new poems, so it is a new question. residency has been very prolific for me in that sense. sure i wrote a few poems last time, but these, well. these are something else entirely.

one poet encouraged me to leave off punctuation entirely. to forego it in my works and use line breaks as my primary means of slowing the reader.

it's difficult,
i said,
i've tried it before. but i'm not there yet. but thank you for believing i could be.


i will leave off here. it's a time for me to be in my life, not about it.

peace.

No comments: