Sunday, July 04, 2004

bliss

i am fond of joseph campbell. think what you will of him, the man has some good things to say from time to time. i prayerfully consider the words of all men i hear, not just those who are in the christian camp. if God can speak through a donkey, He can speak through joseph campbell. (i serve a very, BIG God).

this past week, i put the power of myth on. campbell talked about pursuing your bliss. he deemed it, one of the greatest gifts we can give to God, essentially.

as i was watching, i realized, i had mistaken my bliss to be writing.

my bliss is not writing. my bliss is God. loving and pursuing God.

campbell went on to define a poet.

"a poet is someone who makes a living at pursuing their bliss."

yes, this is what my poetry is about. chronicling my faith journey. chronicling my prayers. chronicling my bliss.

i had turned aside and lost my way, but i am finding it again.

now i wonder, what bliss does writing hold for me? what power to sway me, does the craft hold. not much. i could take it or leave it. i am waiting for further word on that one, before i make any decisions.

but i don't want a writing and speaking ministry like i once thought i did. i want a ministry of blessing people with the power of God. i want to lay hands on people and bless them with the healing God has blessed me. i believe in anointing with oil and holy spirit ministry. it powerfully transformed my life. i was trapped in lies and bondage, until believers laid their hands on me and ministered freedom. that is all i want to do, proclaim the day of liberty to the captive. i was captive too long.

there are five things i give away when i pray. five things i know that God has given me. they are, writing, dancing, mercy, freedom, and words of knowledge. they are free gifts of God. as john wimber used to say, you only get to keep what you give away, so i give them away liberally. to whomever asks or has need of them. if you want these, just ask. God can do through email prayers whatever He likes. He is a Big God, remember?

i know God. i know little else. i hear Him, clearly. His love songs ring out and soothe me. His gentle rebuke chastens me. He is my bliss.

what is yours?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, the bliss thing got posted innumerable times. Like you got blissed out hitting the publish your comment button.

Bliss. Bliss. Bliss. Bliss.

I hear you. When I look at the times in my life where I have been utterly joyful, moving in the Spirit, experiencing God in a supernatural way, it is in hands-on ministry you describe. Doing things like visiting the sick. But it's always an effort to make myself go, because it's totally opposed to what I like to do in in the natural or carnal pursuit of bliss.