Saturday, July 10, 2004

peace

if i could find some way to manufacture peace, i'd be rich.

it would be outlawed though. our fear-driven society and those who make money off that fear, would lobby against such a drug. not good for the public interest, they would say, all the while meaning, not good for my pocket book or bottom line. yeah, we gotcha.

outlawed or not, it would sell faster than any diet drug. it would quickly earn a following of loyal peace popping junkies.

i like pink, so i would make it a delicate pink pill. i know my sister's church (i love them btw, i only mention them because deep down inside that is the church i want to belong to!) would go for it. they get collectively strung out on vitamins and books and whatnot. i imagine it would be no different for many churches the world over.

christians are among the most skittish, discontented lot of people i've ever known. almost up there with writers.

but just imagine, a delicate pink pill to soothe your fears, ease your mind, settle your doubts.

it doesn't have to be a pill though. it could be a powder for snorting (sssnnsst) or hiding in your poison ring and deftly lacing your uptight spouse's coffee with.

could you imagine mainlining peace? heating up the little spoon with your lighter.

i wonder what the withdrawals would be like.

little baggies of peace being doled out on street corners and great piles of peace being snorted at fancy office parties. sssnnsst. peace. sssnnsst. peace. sssnnsst. peace.

little tabs of peace that dissolve on your tongue, so cute with their little pictures of hello kitty, poccacho or badtz maru on them.

or it could be in leaf form. we could load our bongs (does anyone use bongs anymore?) full and revel in the sweet smoky scent of peace. tthhsstt. peace man. tthhsstt. peace. little hand-rolled, zig-zag wrapped doobies of peace.

trouble is, peace can't be manufactured.

try as i might to settle myself down and relax, peace eludes me if i am not where God would have me be. i may be doing exactly what i want, going exactly where i want to go, if it ain't right (for whatever reason) peace eludes me.

recently, i made the decision to lay down my writing "career" (actually, my pursuit of publication and all that entails--i've got them lining up to publish these gems of wisdom folks.) those closest to me, privy to the particulars of my situation gave a hearty yea, and amen. a few others gasped at the hearing. concerned that i was losing the lab with the dog wash. hog wash. they thought. but there ain't any arguing with peace.

the enemy comes to steal, kill, and destroy. he doesn't come bearing peace.

so as i sit, confident only of the peace of God, i know He alone can manufacture peace. He alone can settle my nagging doubts and fears. He alone.

i am grateful, once again, for His soverignty and ability to make a way where there is no way. even when i am told to walk forth, as abraham in a way untrodden, uncharted. His peace is ever with me. and i am grateful.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

All I can say is, I'm glad you're "publishing" here. Thanks for a great post.

siouxsiepoet said...

yes, becca, my brother informed me bongs were still in use too. :D
it's been a while folks (but i guess that's good news).

i am glad you were able to see beyond the metaphor to the message. there is something to that. perhaps someday i'll try to explain why i use these types of metaphors. but for now, i shall away.

peace. tthshsst, peace man.

Reflect4Him said...

The peace which surpasses all understanding is an amazing "high" I have experienced on a few occasions. The best thing about this drug, it has no nasty side effects. Now, if I could make myself stay in this peace. ;-)