Saturday, June 24, 2006

the exceptions

i'd rather be around nonchristians than christians any day. i'm sure that surprises no one. perhaps it's the weight of judgment, or percieved judgment, i feel around the saved, which means it is all in my head, and i'm the real problem. yes, that is probably true.

but imaginary judgment or real, i still feel more comfortable around the unsaved. call me crazy.

i've got to say i've met some profoundly wonderful christians of late, they seem to be the exception. why are all the exceptions available only by email, or internet? how come i can't find those exceptional people in my congregation or community? is the problem that i'm not looking, or only seeing my misperceptions? perhaps.

not that i don't want to be questioned on theological issues, fine. but after you've grilled me on my latest belief (which is the same as my former, there is only One God, after all, nothing's changed). i feel a bit less certain that you're not evaluating everything i say and do by some standard. is this wrong? sometimes i wonder if being utterly honest with my doubts and misgivings, as well as my certainties, will work against me rather than for me. i don't know. i don't know anything.

i do know that the conversations i most enjoy are those which are like a long walk on a sabbath. meandering, just let me be with you type conversations. not many have time for these type conversations which is perhaps why i feel the weight of judgment, because by the time i've settled your doubts about my dubious beliefs, you've got to go. so i get grilled and then you leave (i don't often let these types of conversations happen more than once or twice. i don't need those kinds of friends).

i find with the unsaved, i don't have to convince them that i'm all right. they assume that to be so. why is this assumption any different in the christian community?

i think the focus is too much on appearances. i don't tell many what i'm reading (all of it, that is) because i just don't want to hear it. i don't want to have to assure folks that i'm all right, that what i'm reading won't lead me down the path to ruin (that's a line from a tracy chapman song), i don't know where i'll end up. perhaps i'll end up ruined, but even then, i'll be all right. i'll still be in the Hand of God.

how can i give anyone certainty about my beliefs when i am so uncertain about anything and everything in life. either you believe me saved or don't, either way, it's not really my problem. i know that i know. you're understanding of my knowing isn't high on my priority list. and the unsaved just don't care about that stuff, but it seems like the only (ONLY) issue on the minds of many christians. but are you really saved? (they keep asking, maybe because i have changed churches and moved so much in my life, i find i need to keep meeting people and making my salvation known). settle their doubts, as it were.

but why?

i know we can't just assume everyone is saved, but i'd sure like to talk about the deeper things of God. the mysteries, in a noncombative way. an openended conversation with no real arrival at THE answers, because there are no real answers to the plaguing questions of the day.

i'd like to be in relationship with a bunch of christians who rest in the certainty of God's ability to keep the sheep in the fold. to retrieve the one and move forward. not always this, but did they escape, but did they escape question. such a skittish church. but maybe that is all just in my mind.

maybe i'm the only one who doubts if i am believing right, and am just projecting this on others (which is entirely possible).

i do not know. but i am grateful for those friends of mine who know that i know and move forward with me, meander conversationally with me, and don't always bring me back to the are you still saved question. i'm tired of that question.

last time i checked, God wasn't letting me go. if that has changed, and likely it won't, there's nothing can be done about it from this end. so why belabor it?

3 comments:

Mary DeMuth said...

I narrow it down to Christian women. Oh how I have a hard time with them in particular. So many weird, petty, judgmental things in the name of Jesus...it tires me.

Miss Audrey said...

Suz,

A poem. For you.

Non-Conformity

For you my friend,
I'll be a non-Christian
If only for a day.
I'll share our hopes,
Our dreams,
Our fears
And know God's gonna stay.
Stay right there beside you,
Stay right by your side.
How could He ever leave you?
He's preparing you,
His Bride.
The just they say will live by faith.
By faith, and faith alone.
So hold onto God and He will keep you,
By faith, and faith alone.
6/24/06

I haven't forgotten your post from May 3, 2006. (I had to look a while, but I found it.) It is titled Bridegrooms. I was forever touched by your words Suz. Forever. And I don't say that lightly.

I hadn't had any conversations with you at that point I don't think... but still at a Mother/ Daughter luncheon I thought of you and how your sensitivity and tenderness to the Lord made me want so badly to have what you have. We were told to think of someone that we aspired to be like and admired. I didn't even know you, but I saw your heart for the Father, and as the Lord laid you on my heart I was deeply moved.

I've noticed at different times when you post things that I could have meddled. I chose not to. You don't need my opinions or my faith, you have your own. The Holy Spirit is able to lead you. It states in the book of Isaiah that you have no need for any man to teach you. And how about in the New Testament that states that the Holy Ghost will lead you to all truth? God is able to keep you just fine without anyone's help at all!

People get so busy digging up gardens and planting weeds. (IMHO) Yes, I know, I'm posting on the world wide web. There are a lot of well-meaning people out there doing some serious harm to the tender psyche of the vulnerable.

There is no hard set rules on how to minister the grace and the love of our great and mighty God. Nor is there any hard set rules on how to serve God. Now, if you are out rolling in the meadows and making hay, then there is a problem. But to be a 'seeker' there is no great sin or shame.

I'm told that I have to have thick skin to make it in the publishing industry. I beg to differ. How thick is transparency? We as Christians need to be willing to be vulnerable. God will take care of His own. "If any man comes unto me I will in no wise turn him away." Or how about, "We are sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise until the day of redemption of the purchased possession." When the Bible states that nothing can separate us from the love of God, the truth of the Holy Scriptures stand with no need of defense.

It's a shame that some Christians are so unholy, to be blunt. I'll leave only one more example before I need some tissues and a congregation... (I'm being silly) In a passage in the New Testament a man was boasting that he was so much better than his fellow man because at least he hadn't committed the other man's sins. The man that was the example only admitted his short-comings. Jesus then asked, "Who is more righteous?" I do not question your faith my friend.

I went to a funeral today. And you know what? The widow did something unthinkable. She dared to praise God in the midst of her suffering and her sorrow. She dared to clap her hands and sing along as the choir honored a friend and brother in the Lord. She even sang one of the songs with the choir. How could I do less? I didn't fold in tears, but I sang my heart out. And God came! I stayed on pitch right up to the last and the highest note! Tim would have been proud of 'us' tenors as he had once stood by our sides...

I'm going to share a song I wrote many moons ago. We serve a good God who loved us enough to call us, even as we were. And who loves us too much to let us stay the same as we are. "He who began a good work in you shall complete it until the day of salvation."

JESUS, SWEET JESUS, IS LOVE

He showers me with kindness,
I'm flooded with love.
He's raining love upon me
I am His turtle dove.
My sweet Lord Jesus is love, Jesus, sweet Jesus is love.

I'm growin' like a garden,
Buddin' as a rose.
Springing up like sunshine,
With daisies o're my toes.
In the love of Jesus I grow.
Jesus, sweet Jesus, is love.

I was so black I was rotten,
Withered with sin.
I was so black I was rotten,
Till I let Jesus in.
His blood made me white as the snow.
Jesus, sweet Jesus, is love.

If you have a problem,
Give it to Him.
Put your mind to rest
It won't bother you again.
Why be burdened, laden with sin?
Jesus, sweet Jesus, is love.

Washed in the water,
Dipped in the blood.
Put the old man off
And be showered with love.

Washed in the water,
Dipped in the blood.
Open up your heart
To God's Spirit of love.

Washed in the water,
Dipped in the blood.
Receive sweet blessings from above.
Jesus, sweet Jesus, is love, Yes. Jesus, sweet Jesus is love.

siouxsiepoet said...

mary, thank you.

audrey, thank you. your words and poem and song bless me more than you can imagine.

i sometimes rant and don't know why. yesterday was one of those times. thanks for hearing. thanks for speaking. i don't consider it meddling, i do appreciate your words.

suz.