Tuesday, August 08, 2006

death becomes her

went to a funeral yesterday. a lady i washed dishes with when i first arrived here in ny. she drew a crowd. the church was packed and hot. as i sat there all tacky and uncomfortable, i thought, but this is life. mostly tacky and uncomfortable. punctuated with moments of great love and kindness. i went to honor the memory of her kindness to me. hoping i would honor others with the same kindness she lavished on me. remembering someone's name is a big deal.

i am certain that any kindness is an act of God. i remember this woman would greet me by name each week. we'd kneel around the altar to have communion. the greater number of church members at this parish are over sixty. as far up as 90. still getting around. but kneeling at the altar yesterday, i looked around at the faces of those dear saints who knelt beside me as that woman had. and it was just a moment of realizing the fleeting nature of life. one moment here, the next gone. knocking on heaven's door (by guns 'n' roses) is playing as i write. curious.

the difficulty of the past few weeks seems to have turned with my attitude. i have decided to stop focusing on the problems, the shortcomings, and focus on what i can constructively do to thrive. to embrace joy. to experience life, today. since this is where i'm at.

i've thoroughly evaluated all aspects of my situation and know well the problems. i will now take a new approach, instead of lamenting, i will say,
what can i do to please you husband?
i will again become servant. lover. friend. to the one i have given my whole life to.

i was watching metallica's some kind of monster yesterday, and james hetfield said,
being sober and paying attention to life is exciting. more exciting than anything drinking or partying provided. (my paraphrase)

he also said,
the way i learned how to love things is to choke them to death. don't leave.


how many times i've heard myself say the same things. i guess that is why their new album blows my doors off. it's honest. raw. metallica on the road to healing. very nice.

i said to a friend in the course of this latest darkness,
if i survive myself, i'll be fine.
going to a funeral puts the finality of death in a different frame of reference. it is no pretty ideal. it is an ugly and sometimes cruel surprise. for those who are left behind weep and mourn. though the funeral yesterday was a celebration of a life, it was very encouraging and life affirming, there was still weeping. much weeping.

life, it seems, is precious. remember that. remind me of that. and i shall remind you.

2 comments:

Miss Audrey said...

I saw two hawks yesterday while on my travels to a far away client. The hawks reminded me of another far away client who I walked that last mile with not so long ago.

On my last visit to see my client/friend I saw a hawk circling the exit that would lead me to my friend's daughter's house, and to my friend's final resting place... I wondered at the bird as it circled. It was so graceful and free.

When I left from bidding my last 'goodbyes' I couldn't help but notice that a hawk was still hovering over the exit. Again I took note. (This was miles away from my client's home.)

The next time that I drove by where my client used to live on my way to a different client's house I saw a hawk circling overhead. My friend had passed and the hawk was my reminder of her. (This happened a couple of times.)

As I saw the hawks flying together I couldn't help but think that maybe my one friend had joined another one of my recently passed client/friends in the great spirit world so that neither of them would have to be alone...

Death becomes her was a beautiful way to embrace something that you could not hold onto. Beautiful.

siouxsiepoet said...

audrey, you are the voice of kindness in my life. thank you.