Tuesday, August 01, 2006

silence

when i come to these places of barrenness, i look arouund and wonder, how did i get here and what do i do now?

i hear whispers of poems. but nothing i can yet grasp.

i think the lack of silence is part of the problem. i can't recall the sound of stillness. i no longer remember the sound of silence. all around me cars, engines, people, trains, birds (even they have become blurred in the frenzy of sounds).

so i plug my ears with music. i leave off my silent longing and fill it with sounds which are less offensive. yet the longing grows.

it's ravenous now, i'm starved for silence. for a moment of nothingness like i used to know so tangibly. in texas, our home was silent about 90 percent of the time. all day long, my girl and i would dwell in this silence and read. write. study.

she had a little friend over once, who walked through our house with her ears plugged screaming,
i hate silence!


so far we've fallen.
so far we've fallen.

rilke wrote of silence being a rich man's commodity. these are the moments i long for the wealth to buy me the sound of silence.

these are the moments i think a retreat to the nunnery would suit me just fine.

these are the moments i wonder how anyone gets by without silence to cloak them, to frame their thoughts.

i hadn't realized how accustomed i'd become to hearing no thing. i long for it now. that silence, pine for it.

where can i go to be away from sound? apart from these noises which ring in my head and part me from my thoughts?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"...and the vision that was planted in my brain still remains within the sound of silence.
in restless dreams i walked along...
'neath the halo of a street lamp...
touched the sound of silence...people writing songs that no one shared...and echoed in the well of silence...and the words of of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls, whispering the sounds of silence"