Friday, August 11, 2006

powderkeg

i've never been a very good wife. the truth be told. i've been selfish, demanding, petty. all those things that make a husband want to come home and crawl in bed beside me.

the trouble is, i've tried. and the suz you know and love, is the improved version. can you imagine what i used to be like? it gives me the willies to go there. so i try not to. i try not to think back of all the progress i've made. all the babysteps i've taken toward functionality, because truth be told, i'm still a long way away from it.

sure i get through the day, but sometimes i'm amazed and wonder how.

i started this new plan this week:
contentment in action.
no more complaining. no more lamenting the way things are. just dealing with it and moving forward. ever asking,
how can i please you husband?


this has been noticed. and appreciated. if only i could make it part of my life.

i told my husband,
i'm ready for a full-blown backslide.
because daily mass was on tv and the priest said,
and God says...


and i said,
i don't want to hear it.
and muted it.

that, right there was probably the answer to all my woes, but i didn't listen. though if i had listened, it would have been some long meaningless passage from chronicles. which would have affected me not at all.

but i'm left wondering,

what would God have said?


who knows. the point here being, He's talking all the time. and sometimes when we think we could be ready for a full-blown backslide, others think we're all ready fully backslidden.

this has probably often been the case with me. and i wonder. if i am not perceived as serving God now, when i clearly am, what hope have i? does it all hang on perceptions of me and my walk with God? or is there some finality in actually being a child of God and loving him with my whole heart.

even though friends tell me i'm "not fully committed."

then i never will be,
i say. because i don't know how to commit any more of my heart, soul, life to God than i have now. i've done it all as i understand it.

but i haven't lost the fetters of secularism. because i enjoy them. i have taken up some of the old things because they speak to me more than the approved things of the church.

i don't claim to understand any of it.

my husband would like me to share with him as i do so liberally here. so honestly here. and i shall try. which will either result in a resurgence of trust between us or me like a powderkeg ready to blow.

communication has never been our strong suit. so to try to make it the only outlet for my great angst, is, well, dangerous. i'd say.

but i'm game. i'll try anything once. maybe even twice.

being a "good" wife is something i've long wanted to try. guess i'll give it a shot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What man is wise enough to answer the questions of 'given in'---but the son of man, the Son of God.A very very close friend of mine shared a song with me once. 'Spring up oh well' it is a prayer of the soul going up before the throne of God, to spring up, spring forth within me, show me, teach me, guide me, heal me.To reveal that love that is so pure we cannot contain it without we also being in the Spirit."Work out your own salvation with fear and trembling" so saith the Word. Within those words of life are the answers if we search them as jewels.i think only once if we are graced by God to have found such a friend that cares for a soul as that friend i found.This friend taught me to DO all that is right that i know to do, and ask God to reveal to me those things i do not understand to do.Jesus said, "I'll never leave you nor forsake you"Nor can those things OR people He gives us be taken away except by Him. I pray strength for you, and God will send such a friend as I found in my life.

Miss Audrey said...

Damn.

There.

Now I'm backslidden right along beside you, if that's all it takes...

Self-righteous judgment can be a cruel and blind measurement of a man's faithfulness.

Only God has the infinite knowledge to discern the thoughts and the intents of a person's heart.

I had all that in my little pea brain before I read Spencer's encouraging words of wisdom, but couldn't (wouldn't) help myself.

Maybe you could just leave the plug off of your keg so if it blows you won't totally self-destruct, if indeed you do blow...

You know, leave a bit of that pent-up frustration here and there so that like Hansel and Gretel you can find your way home.

No sense in an all out explosion if you can leak a bit of the anxiety out along the way.

I learned the concept at a retreat one time, except that the instructor was talking about leaking out the great outpouring of the Holy Spirit within us.

Same principal.

Just my two cents.