Tuesday, November 27, 2007

strange compliments

tonight i had a cherokee man from north carolina ask me what i was.
always an interesting question as i don't usually know how to answer.
i tend to just smile and listen to whatever comes next.

you're beautiful,
he said.

thank you.


he was buying three bunches of kale and a bunch of carrots.

two rabbits,
he said,
males.


my daughter is trying to talk me into doing that.


bad idea,
he said.

he tells me what i all ready know about the naughty boys and how they don't play well together.

but kept punctuating everything with,
you're beautiful.


and it was genuine. which was nice. i lost track of my counting with his gushing. and just smiled, said thank you, and started counting again.

grown men who act like boys.

makes me laugh.

but then i thought about the cherokee i know and love,
it's good to see those who remind you of what you love.

last night, a man from the meat department, i think (fitting)
was fawning all over me. and i kept laughing and said,
you're dangerous.


when i sing to you, then you can tell me i'm dangerous,
he said.

all the while i'm thinking, this is why i don't like to be around men overmuch.

but i did see two of my lady friends, and it was good to see them.

my feet hurt, i'm tired. but it is all good.

i am believing goodness will come to me in the land of the living.

in the meantime, it feels good to smile again.

No comments: