Thursday, July 02, 2009

i'll take the leather

packing for my residency has hit a fevered pitch. i started out with a managable pile, but ten days is a long time, and i have to look cute. so i'm taking a lot of clothes. and then, we have readings and dinners, etc. i don't want to show up in nasty clothes i've worn all day long, so now i'm considering dressier options for the night (hear, she's taking the leather).

but my pile grows, and i need things like ethernet cable (just in case) and a reading lamp. a fan. these are thing i do not have here. i left my former domicile with just the clothes and books. the fancy shit never came up. not that an ethernet cable is fancy, just not on my list of must haves. if you're loading up your car with only what will fit, leaving a fourteen year situation, it's tough to think through every scenario.

so i keep calling the ex, can i borrow this and that. some of the shit is mine and i won't return it, but other things, like that cable, are his. i just need a loaner. who else can i ask for these things. i'll be rebuked by my best friend, who'll say,
stop asking him for help.
because she wants me to cut the cord completely, and i have. but there is some shit, like pulling a thorn out of my foot that i just don't know who else to ask, without feeling like i'm putting someone out.

i'm probably putting him out, but that's no surprise.

so, i'm a light packer, usually, but the mound is ginormous, and i have to figure out how to get all this shit there and back. the bitch of the whole deal is, i get a final missive from the mfa program saying,
new students must arrive by 4:30pm.
bullshit. i can't. i guess i may spend that first night in my car, because i can't get there until 9pm. i have to work. i can't just take ten days off work and make it eleven just because some administrator doesn't want the hassel of a late arrival. bullshit.

so, hopefully they'll make an exception. i'm always needing exceptions and it's troubling. legitimate, but troubling. they can't make that kind of demand arbitrarily though, and that demand sounds arbitrary.

i am excited though. i'll take my swimsuit incase i can find some pool somewhere to wet my doggies.

the books i want to read and possess next semester will likely be in tow. see, the pile is mounting. books alone, i'll probably have about forty if i take what i want to take. i may try to limit myself to just ten, because, come on, this is rediculous. but i am planning my semester and if letting the prof acutally see the book will help my case, i'll lug thirty extra books up there. anything to get my way. anything.

i'm not progressing on the reading. i really have to not be home. decided to pack tonight, it needed to be done. but the reading does too. i just don't have time to get it all done in advance. granted, i've done most of it. time to go with speed reading, which is how they tell you to read in college anyway.

i hope it's not pretentious, using words like missive. ugh. i will need to rest a lot between bullshit sessions. we'll see how it goes. i'm excited though, it's a great adventure. which reminds me, i need to print out directions. my navigator is tempramental, and since i call her sybil, it's best not to trust one such as she.

my pony is faithful though, he'll get me there.

peace. out.

No comments: