Friday, July 10, 2009

lugging too much crap

fortunately when i pulled into the college i ran into two other returning students from my program. one of them a poet. we wandered through the dorms and found our rooms together, that makes it nice. not being lost alone, i mean. but, lo and behold, what do i find in my room...a roommate. sigh.

i was supposed to have a single room. but, alas, last minute this chick shows up and rooms with me. she's very nice, and i was exhausted so i told her,
i'll probably be a bitch, just ignore me.


we chatted a bit (i could feel my reserves draining away), and i tried to play nice. unpacked my endless bags of crap, and finally hit the hay around 10:30. i left work at 4pm, so arriving just after 8 is pretty good, i think. but not only did i have a roommate surprise, since she arrived early, she got my sheets and towels, etc. when they did not "appear" as she had hoped, i had to wander around campus at 9pm in search of sheets so i could go to bed.

i stumbled onto a security guard, and since i didn't get a parking pass yet, it was fortuitous.

will i get towed? i don't have a parking permit yet.


no, i'm the boss tonight.


good.

i also need sheets.


you're the one.


yes.


i have to drop this off in the other dorm, then we'll get your sheets.


do you want me to come with you so you don't have to walk back?


sure.


he is puffing away on a cigar and fiddling with that shoulder walkie talkie police wear.

i'll finish smoking that for you,
i say as he heads for the dorm.

he turns around,
want a light?


no, i don't smoke.


he smiles, and puts it up on the light fixture.
the benefits of being tall.


yes.


he came back out pretty quick, while i sat on the steps and waited.

what's your name?


shamus.


i laughed, i couldn't help it. and i said,
you're my first shamus. probably not even spelling that right). irish, no doubt.


and we got into a discussion about patriotism. my very favorite subject.

essentially, the guy is american. his wife, a detective. nice man. led me through campus, got a mini tour.

so i'm finally abed, and the person upstairs arrives around 11pm. and lumbers around moving furniture it sounds like, maybe it's just poor acoustics. and i neglected to note the type of battery i needed for my little mp3 speaker pillow, so i was not lulled to sleep by the soothing sounds of nirvana or blue october.

curiously enough, my roomie's ringtone is blue october. that is nice. though not at midnight.

i dreamt there was a line for the shower and got up. at least i saw what to wear today, the jury was still out on that one. so i got up and ready at 6am, no one else even stirring. it's hard to be quiet especially in unfamiliar surroundings where you don't know what creaks, slams or otherwise makes loud banging noises.

i took a long hot shower, now i'm going to read until some undetermined time when i'll go hunt down breakfast in the cafeteria. since i'm in some unknown building (likely the student center, i know the cafeteria can't be far).

shamus told me they have fox, deer, all manner of woodland creatures here, so maybe with these early risings i'll spy a few.

my arms are very tired, and i'm trying not to disturb my goddamn roommate, so i'll use my computer less than i'd hoped.

ah, to have a single room. it is my wish.

No comments: