Sunday, March 05, 2006

a moment in time.

mom
my daughter calls out from her sprawled place on the living room floor, i continue reading and try to finish the sentence.
mom
it is the second calling of my name that gets my attention.
yes, love

i look up, breaking my stride across the page
i like that you are so determined to read

she says with a smile.
thank you love. now be quiet.


my husband sat with us at breakfast the other morning, she devouring ramona quimby books and i nearing the end of the wild woman book. neither of us talking or looking around, both head down reading while we ate breakfast. he sat there for a moment with us, and then left us to our reading.

but this is how we do school. many books, much reading. one cannot read and talk or watch tv or do much else. yet we are doing so much.

the thought of relocating to an actual city is daunting to me. i realize how cloistered my life really is. how much time i actually spend in silence. how much time i spend apart from the rush of life. i run errands on tuesday. the rest of the week, most weeks, i stay home.

my ministry is to my family and the small circle of people i commune with over the internet. that is it for now. this is the day of small beginnings and i cherish the easy pace of it all. i would have it no other way.

No comments: