Monday, March 13, 2006

my Dove

there is a song by brian johnson, which i play over and over. it is a song (called broken for you) inspired by the song of solomon. the words and melody waft me away to the garden and i am dancing with the Lord once again. ah, yes, a lovely song.

the sufi poet, hafiz, was recommended to me and i sat in barnes and noble reading the gift yesterday.

there i found a kindred spirit. a poet who was the contemporary of chaucer, but played with words and images much like i do. irreverent. sensual. free. funny. (i hope that is how i'm taken, but won't lose sleep over it if i'm not.)

it is hard to leave a book unbought at a bookstore because i never know if i'll see that book again. i ordered it from amazon along with: drunk with the wine of the Beloved, and the subject tonight is love.

i find his writing intoxicating.

i don't have much to say today, but i'll share a poem i wrote which i wanted to write while i was reading hafiz, and then stopped to write. i turned the page and his next poem ended in nearly the same words. freaky man!

i got the first line of this one because this young guy was laughing and i thought it so profoundly beautiful i had to write about it. i saw an african american lady with her rounded hips on my way to the book store, she was wearing a black and white striped dress and little tiny pumps. my eye followed her curves as i passed by. and i thought she looked good. who knows where the rest came from.

I saw you today
____in the young man's smile
I saw you today
____in the mother's hips
I heard you today
____in the child's laughter
I heard you today
____in the widow's sobs
I felt you today
____in the warmth of sunshine
I felt you today
____in caressing breezes
I smelled you today
____in the spiced air
I smelled you today
____in the flower garden
I tasted you today
____in the crisp green apple
I tasted you today
____in the warm chocolate fudge
I saw you today
____and you were beautiful
I saw you today
____everywhere.

No comments: