Friday, May 05, 2006

comfortably uncomfortable

i have spent a great deal of time of late talking to the Lord about these besetting fears. my uncertainties, my doubts. He's very straigtforward in His answer. and very clear that i am where i am supposed to be. this comforts me little, you see, for i am very uncomfortable.

Papa, i'm lonely,
i say
I am with you.
He repies.
Papa, i'm scared

I am with you.

Papa, i don't know what to do next.

just the next thing.
He reminds me.
it's almost dinner, make dinner.

i can do that.

sleep comes to me, and i rise.
Good morning, Papa. i'm scared.

I am with you.


always this, I am with you bit. no tangible comforts. no hand holding friend to get me through. just Him. just His presence. just the certainty of knowing who He is.

reading merton he says,
we have to know we don't know God.

i don't know God. for all my familiarity. for all my sensitivity. i've no clue who or what this God of Heaven will do or say next. i think that is where my fears come in. i'd just like to know (but then i wouldn't). if someone told me the things that were revealed to the apostles about their (grim) futures, i wouldn't want to have to muster the courage to face knowing. rather, embrace unknowing. i read somewhere, probably merton,
the only way we can know God is through unknowing.


yes. deep down in me i understand this.

does it make it feel any less like a free fall through God's grace? absolutely not. i'm uncertain every day. i'm questioning every day. but when i fix my eyes on Papa, i'm able to do the next thing. just the very next thing.

editing five chapters of a book are the next thing on my plate, and i can do those, one chapter at a time.

i get lost in all the big talk about positive confession and name it and claim it, because God is not my dumbwaiter. He is not my errand boy. He is everything to me, but not anything i can boss about.

i'm tired of unknowing. i'd give anything for a little certainty, or at least i say i would and it comes right down to it and i like not knowing. i like letting Him be Sovereign. i'm tired of trying to fix everything i break and mend every wound i inflict. sometimes it takes a true Physician and i must accept my limitations.

i'm finding joy this year, remember. that is what my resolution was. i have often wondered if using the phrasing "finding" automatically puts me in this roll of hunter and joy is eluding me. like i have to track it and shoot it and bring it home dead, stuff it and mount it on my wall.

that is not the kind of joy i am to embrace, i'm sure of it. i think the kind of joy i am to find is hidden in the next thing. just the very next thing. when i am faithful to that thing, it can then be found in the next next thing.

be about the mundane,
i hear Him say.
yes. i will try.

just do the next thing. and remember, I am with you.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So glad I came here today. Your words speak to my heart. Same questions here. Maybe we're all feeling what you were courageous enough to write. But God is with us. I dare say it's not for our comfort that He came, but then you already knew that.

Love the Siouxsiepoetuncensored !

Thanks for a beautiful read.

siouxsiepoet said...

is this vicToria?

what have you been up to girl?

siouxsiepoet said...

hi vicki, i have realized you're not the victoria i thought you were.

welcome, thanks for the kind word!

your blog is gorgeous btw,
suz.

Anonymous said...

Thanks, suzie. Hope you'll post next time you're there! Will be back here for sure. Found you via Master's Artist & Mike Duran's blog.

Miss Audrey said...

I found joy, but it didn't come without having survived the sorrow. The scripture assures, (sorrow will come!) that sorrow will last for a night, but joy comes in the morning. Dare to take your Papa at His word and you will have no choice but to see that the joy of the Lord is your strength.

Not just mere words, but a sure foundation that stands just as sure as the foundation that you have entrusted your heart and your life to.

Joy isn't always happy happy.

JOY
I speak of joy.
Tears fill my eyes and I cry
For the babe who was born to die.

There my friend, is strength. An example. An agony. A victory.

Joy comes with resolution and fortitude. I believe that you have both. Embrace the joy.

Here is a poem born from my own struggles.

Tears of Sorrow, Tears of Joy
A Talk with Jesus

A teardrop fell silently in the night.
One by one there fell a dozen.
The thirteenth unhappy tear never fell.
Sorrow had no place to stay.
A smile ebbed onto the silent lips.
The Spirit of God began moving.
Happiness started humming in the quiet heart.
Hope surged through the solemn soul.
Understanding began to flow steady
Through the veins of the Christian in waiting.
“You’re mine, dear child, you’re mine.”
Jesus assured.
“I am His! I am truly loved!”
Breathed the solitude servant.
“I love you, Lord.”
Sighed the grateful soul.
“I love you.”
Jesus answered silently,
Louder than any words ever heard.
Bells of truth chimed softly,
And gently created a melody of calm.
“I want to come Home.”
Sang Love’s song.
“Your time has not yet come.”
Reality replied.
Yielding, the obedient heart surrendered,
“Thy will be done, for thine is the Kingdom,
And the power, and the glory,
Forever and ever, Amen.”
“And lo, I am with you alway,
Even unto the end of the world.”
Promised Jesus.
A teardrop fell silently in the night.
One by one there fell a dozen.

siouxsiepoet said...

thank you audrey. love a good poem in the morning. and i appreciate your encouragement.

suz.