Thursday, May 04, 2006

signs of life

(Note: thanks to the kind reader who found this little gem for me! this is him!)

yesterday as i was blogging, then editing, the brightest little yellow bird--audaciously bright, with a slight black cap and touch of black on the back (looked like it was on the wings when closed), lighted in a huge pine just outside the window. i've yet to identify this bird. it was as bright yellow as a canary, but touches of black. i've ruled out the warblers and the yellow finches. but i'm still searching. perhaps he'll show himself to me again and i can get a better idea of what i'm dealing with.

the ravens have been about much. i'm partial to ravens. they call me to embrace the mystery. during the years when i went to powwows and lived in the high desert of california, ravens frequented my life. they were everywhere. this was frowned upon by my comache friend, who was dear to me, because to him they were harbingers of evil.

a dear friend went to alaska and brought me back a whale bone carved into a raven's head. so the northern pacific tribes do not dislike ravens as much as some of the other bands of tribes i've known do.

the trickster is a common motif in native stories, perhaps in other stories too, but i hear it mostly in relation to native tales. the trickster is very helpful at times, has much wisdom, but it is deciphering this wisdom that is the tricky part. or not being tricked into doing something you don't want to do. the trickster can be portrayed as clown, snake, rabbit, or raven (there are probably more, but these are the one's i've most commonly encountered).

so the ravens calling me to mystery is an interesting sirenesque call. do they lead me to my doom, or no? but i've come to understand this aspect of God as well. so the raven is not so far fetched for me, as trickster and Godtype, or mouthpiece of God. Certainly
the trickery comes to an end and we must obey God straight out
as don potter says, but i find many times when things are not what i think they are, or thought they would be, that God's hand has somehow kept info from me so i wouldn't judge based on my preferences.

this apartment for example. there were two we were deciding between. had we known there would be someone rumbling about the floor above us, there is no way we would have come here. but here is where we were supposed to come. trickery or not, i have to bless the God of Heaven for his stupefying ways. for i don't understand them.

so this little yellow bird's appearance speaks to me of something delightful. some new friend or accomplishment. though i can't yet understand and say with certainty what that is, or who that is, my heart rejoices.

the squirrel i mentioned before, he apparently lives on or around my apartment, and yesterday stopped and regarded me for quite some time. this writing turret puts me up at tree level and i think many birds, squirrels and whatnots are surprised to find me here when they happen upon me. but the squirrel quit darting away and sat there for a good five minutes scratching and regarding me. then went about his business.

it is good to befriend squirrels. maybe he'll get brave and regard me when i'm not enclosed in glass.

he's back! the little yellow gem just lit upon a branch, he has a touch of black on his tail that i didn't notice yesterday and a delicate golden beak (stubby triangle like a v). i really need to put my binoculars nearby so i can really stare him down and check him out. i've thought i really need to use a camera, instead of just words.

6 comments:

siouxsiepoet said...

i got this email:

i prefer your words to the camera.....

i find it interesting that more people email me than leave comments. hmmm. peculiar.

Miss Audrey said...

I enjoy your words as they paint beautiful pictures, but sometimes photographs are nice too. IMMHO.

I have a little chipmunk that the Lord allows me to see scurrying about from time to time. I used to watch a pair of them, but as the habitat around my home changed (My husband built a huge garage) so did the chipmunk's habits. I find the little guy to be a tangible sign that "all is well" as it's always when I'm at a cross road that I see my 'sign'. (At least here lately.) I'll post him on my blog as I have more to say... lol Some call it the gift of gab, others call it obnoxious!



Today is National Day of Prayer and I have been contemplating the Lord on many different planes today. Your other post about Bridegrooms made me hunger for the Lord like nothing I've been touched by for longer than I'd care to admit.

Have a blessed day, and thank you for your sensitivity in the spirit. It does my spirit good.

siouxsiepoet said...

yes, a picture would certainly help in identifying the little beauty who sits so regal backlit against the sun. like a little flame of fire. just gorgeous.

we saw the squirrels yesterday, two of them came out and showed us their newfound courage to venture out of the den. the third still hides. the runt i think.

glad to know you are also a nature watcher. i've seen about three chipmunks here of late.

i'm glad you helped save that lady's life (you mentioned it on f*i*f), huzzah. God be in your hands and labors today.
suz.

Miss Audrey said...

Suz,

I've checked on the lady who had that medical situation. She seems to be doing well and has a family member taking care of her now.

I adore nature and my little critters. Today I snuck off and laid in my hammock, just to be able to say that I did. (Cause you know, I didn't have that kind of time! It was well past time that I needed to be making dinner, but I was outside and no one noticed my disappearance.) It was late afternoon and it really was too cool outside to enjoy myself, but my yard is a little piece of heaven to me. While there a little bird landed in the tree above me. It startled me as at first I thought it was going to land right on me! Then another even smaller bird landed on the ground about three feet away from where I was laying and was snuggled in the grass and picking at it a bit, just like I wasn't even there. I watched the little guy for a few minutes and then he took his leave.

I'm glad I visited The Master's Artists when I did and saw your post. I've been following the other bloggers in there also and I enjoy the community spirit that you guys share. Your writing (yours and collective) calls me to a deeper commitment to the Lord and in that I find a greater sense of peace and well-being, although right now I've been struggling with a few things and admittedly, I'm not where I belong in the Lord. No blatant sin going on, just not resting in Him like I need to... Your ponderings are inspiring and encouraging.

siouxsiepoet said...

hi audrey,
glad to hear that lady is all right and that you've taken some time (found some, made it happen)to be in paradise.

does my heart good.
have a beautiful day.
suz.

siouxsiepoet said...

yes! thank you julia. ah, to know these birds by description alone.

suz.