Tuesday, May 23, 2006

disqualified

i have recognized a pattern in my life. many times when the good, the bounty, the feast is spread before me in the presence of mine enemies, i have thought myself unworthy and disqualified myself from these many graces.

sabatoging self, i would wander away into exile prompted by the voices that told me i was not good enough. i'm not listening to those voices anymore. i had a friend who laid himself down for me and showed me the Love of Christ, the Heart of Christ toward me. i cannot disqualify myself any longer as it is not my worthiness these feasts and bounty hinge upon. but Christ's.

understand, i always knew this in my head. i spoke these words with great fervor. i thought them true. but i did not believe them to the depths of my soul. i did not live them out. it took a great act of God on my behalf to rouse me from my waking slumber. it took a great act of selfless courage on the part of a dear friend to love me to life. it took a great many trials to finally rend me from my doubts of worthiness. i could not cling to them any more, for i believe myself to be, finally, truly loved. the beloved.

the old almost quaint movie, pretty woman, has a line in it which has rung true my entire life,
the bad stuff is easier to believe.
but now i'm wondering, why is it? why is it easier to believe i am not qualified for the good the Lord longs to lavish upon me? why am i not qualified to recieve the gifts of abundant provision? why am i so afraid of bounty?

there have been times when i've not wanted for material goods, but they never satisfied. those were seasons of great woundedness, and i guess the two are forever linked in my mind. so for me to get around this particular road block, i'm going to need new eyes, new ears, new senses. a new understanding. i will not walk away from the promised land.

but i am also reminded there are foreign gods here, and i must not bend the knee. this warning echoed throughout the pages of scripture, was echoed in real time by a friend. this mythic journey, this metaphoric path i'm on can lead me away from the faith. do i understand this? yes, i do. but i also understand this, He is able to keep that which i've entrusted to Him. His ability to keep is greater than my ability to wander. His ability to redeem, greater than my ability to sell my soul into slavery. His ability to find, greater than my ability to get lost.

His eye has never been off me. His hand, never far from mine. His ear, ever attentive to my cries. i don't understand it. i really don't. in all my wandering, in all my seeking wholeness, in all my wounded disqualification of myself from every good and perfect gift, He found a way to weave the chaos into beauty, the tattered threads into garments of praise.

so when i go to this next place of honor, and stand before poets of great stature, i will at long last be adorned in robes of righeousness, face shining, standing in the power of Truth. for so long have i been sojourning to this place, i will not turn away from it now. His ability to keep me, is greater than my ability to be lost.

2 comments:

Miss Audrey said...

Suz,

I contemplated your post and wanted to dig up a 'fitting' scripture for you, but the Lord put a song in my spirit instead. It's called, "Brave" and I have drawn so much strength from it here lately. It just makes me want to take the world by storm. So many times with my writing I have to fight the demons that tell me that I'm just not good enough. I have to remind myself that I am a child of the King and that He has a work for me to accomplish and that He is going to help me to do it. "God gives me excellent words... God gives me excellent words..." I have to just keep on repeating that to myself.

I look forward to hear how it goes as you stand with your peers. I have no doubt that it will go better than well.

I didn't know that "Brave" was written by a thirteen year old girl. She also wrote, "What If." I found the one song and the other was right there too. Both are sources of great hope and encouragement when I hear them on the radio. "So long, status quo, I think I just let go, You make me want to be brave..."

01 : Brave
(Nichole Nordeman, Jay Joyce)
For Charlie, who rearranged my fearful heart.

The gate is wide
The road is paved in moderation
The crowd is kind and quick to pull you in
Welcome to the middle ground
You're safe and sound and
Until now it's where I've been

'Cause it's been fear that ties me down to everything
But it's been love, Your love, that cuts the strings

So long status quo
I think I just let go
You make me want to be brave
The way it always was
Is no longer good enough
You make me want to be brave
Brave, brave

I am small
And I speak when I'm spoken to
But I am willing to risk it all
I say Your name
Just Your name and I'm ready to jump
Even ready to fall...

Why did I take this vow of compromise?
Why did I try to keep it all inside?

So long status quo
I think I just let go
You make me want to be brave
The way it always was
Is no longer good enough
You make me want to be brave
Brave, brave

I've never known a fire that didn't begin with a flame
Every storm will start with just a drop of rain
But if you believe in me
That changes everything
So long, I'm gone

So long status quo
I think I just let go
You make me want to be brave
I wanna be brave
The way it always was
Is no longer good enough
You make me want to be brave
Brave, brave

02 : What If
(Nichole Nordeman)
For a friend who thinks this Jesus stuff is nuts.

What if you're right?
And he was just another nice guy
What if you're right?
What if it's true?
They say the cross will only make a fool of you
And what if it's true?

What if he takes his place in history
With all the prophets and the kings
Who taught us love and came in peace
But then the story ends
What then?

But what if you're wrong?
What if there's more?
What if there's hope you never dreamed of hoping for?
What if you jump?
And just close your eyes?
What if the arms that catch you, catch you by surprise?
What if He's more than enough?
What if it's love?

What if you dig
Way down deeper than your simple-minded friends
What if you dig?
What if you find
A thousand more unanswered questions down inside
That's all you find?

What if you pick apart the logic
And begin to poke the holes
What if the crown of thorns is no more
Than folklore that must be told and retold?

You've been running as fast as you can
You've been looking for a place you can land for so long
But what if you?re wrong?

siouxsiepoet said...

that was immensely encouraging audrey. thank you for your sensitivity and willingness to share.

suz.