Thursday, May 18, 2006

meandering

walking to the library yesterday, absorbed in looking at all the different shapes of leaves, colors of green, fading flowers, blooming flowers, zipping bugs, plus listening to a book on tape, my daughter calls out,

the pianist!


she loves saying that. and there he was, walking up the other side of the hill across the street, headed in the same direction.

for a little village, the street to the library is a main thoroughfare, lots of traffic that is supposed to be going 30 mph but has the conspirators of a huge hill and no traffic signals to keep things zipping along at quite a pace. pedestrians beware. many are the times i've jumped as cars zoom pass me at too close proximity for my comfort.

so the idea of crossing that street anywhere but at the appointed places is unthinkable for me. there is a crosswalk right in front of the catholic church down the hill which at least gives cars pause because of the signal. the red light is helpful, but people are still impatient.

the next crosswalk is blind to one side, the side coming up the hill, save about 50 feet of road, and is a good deal away from the stop light that might help a bit.

so crossing this road becomes a bit like survival of the fittest. we run. we wait. we use our best judgment to not become creamed corn.

as we were walking home, i saw the most beautiful striped caterpillar on the sidewalk, i had to pick him up. and i had to place him on my shirt. that seems to be my standard resting spot. he climbed up me so fast, i am not sure if was due to his superheating from basking on the sidewalk (my girl had just cycled by, i'm amazed he wasn't turned into strained peas). but he raced up my chest, across my shoulder and into oblivion. we couldn't find him once we dashed across the dangerous road, and while it was tempting, it is not the kind of road one stands in and seeks out lost caterpillars, though we might have doomed him (or i might have) by picking him up in the first place.

best intentions gone awry again.

i hoped for the best and that he either made it off me before the road, or was on me until we passed through the wooded grounds of the salvation army training center. such lovely grounds. the trees are amazing.

we couldn't see the squirrels when we finally made it back home, but i did see one high up in another tree at the library. i'm getting good at picking rodentia out of foliage. we saw a woodchuck at the park recently too. they are very sweet, so round and full of life. except for the dead one i saw on the road.

i saw a deer on the way to the open mic, dead, half on the road, half off. and i thought, almost made it. i guess most of them die off in the woods after they are hit. but to be so close and not make it.

i want to make it all the way across the line and i'd like all my parts to be in working order when i get there.

3 comments:

Miss Audrey said...

"Best intentions gone awry..." could be my life motto! LOL

This is the entry poem to my first book of memoirs, EVEN IN SILENCE.

Have a great day!

Audrey

The High Road

East, a road, I’ve not yet traveled,
A place I have not seen.
I set my face East, towards the Eastern Gate,
But for now it is but a dream.
To South I say, I know you well,
My best intentions gone wry.
But I’ll set my pace East, and on I’ll go,
To the forever of sweet bye and bye.
The beaches of West know my name,
The salt, and the sand, and the sea.
For West was my home, I grew up there,
Yes, West was a great place to be.
I placed my future upon a star,
And released it unto God.
So Northward I look,
And hope and dream,
No, North doesn’t seem so far.
Now I travel with all that I am,
My life is in God’s hands.
So forward I go,
To the Eastern Gate,
To fulfill my destiny.
I’ll dig my feet in,
And through thick or thin,
I’ll reach Eternity.

Audrey Semprun
Joyful Noiz Ministries
12/21/05

siouxsiepoet said...

yeah that whole after perspective, picking you up meant killing you? oops. i wouldn't have picked you up.

the logic i get hit with is, think about what can happen.

i reply, how can you if you don't know what is going to happen?

every caterpillar i have ever picked up has eeked a slow pace across whatever body part i've had it on. this one had racing stripes though, that should have been my first indication. but no, i picked him up and zoom, he was gone.

a poem will come of it. i've got all manner of thoughts about him brewing in my head.

thanks for the poem audrey. nice to know someone out there thinks about stuff and shares it, too.

peace.
suz.

Miss Audrey said...

Suz,

I can understand your concern for the caterpillar, really. I've done something like that before today, but gratefully I can't remember...

But today, that I remember quite well.

Today I was running the sweeper for a gal and she got me into a bit of a hurry. It's usually me that talks too much, but this gal was on a gab and I was needing to get out of there. I work on a schedule and I was going to be late. So, here I was hustling through her kitchen with my broom-vac. Before I could stop myself I sucked up an ant. Poor little black ant didn't have a chance. I would have normally went around him, or at the least toted him outside. Afterall, why should I totally ruin his day by killing him?

Anyway, I was not a happy camper, but it was too late. All I could do was apologize and move on.

When I got finished I went to just throw the vacumme into my trunk and get on down the road. Then I remembered the ant. He sure wouldn't have a chance in my hot trunk, that is if he survived being sucked up into my little portable sweeper.

I went over to the yard and I stooped down, so that I could see, and I dumped the small amount of dust fragments into the dirt. And there he was! A little black ant. At first I questioned if he was the same ant, but when he started walking around in circles I was certain. (Honest!) He was a little worse the wear for the tear, but he was alive. I smiled and moved on, and I considered your caterpillar. Surely the Lord knows your heart and had mercy on that little caterpillar too! I just don't see him as splat flat... (A tease on your wonderful metaphores! Creamed corn and strained peas. The strained peas was yuk!)I'm a very visual person and the word picture was way too vivid!

Smiles.