Sunday, February 17, 2008

ice is slippery

after a long walk with my girl yesterday, and resting some, (this is a ten day run with no days off), i head off to work, where my boss and i say to each other,
you can't get hurt!
because i can help some if she were out, but i can't, most certainly can't replace her. i can't do the early morning hours or keep the store running by myself, i know this. she knows this.

i am learning all that stuff, but i don't have a grasp of it yet. she's no fool though, she'll be training me and the new guy (her two new assts), how to do everything, which is how it should be, in my mind, always have an understudy.

hopefully not a plotting understudy, but a loyal understudy.

so i ended up telling her about my getting told off by the employee who refused a break. she said it's been a problem and she'll handle it. (she's really a good boss, i'm glad we worked things out. i like her a lot. sometimes, those people who are most like me, set me off and we have to work through being alike. i don't know that she's like me, but i'm just saying, i've had to struggle with people i really came to like in the past, now is no different.)

last time i worked with that person, i didn't ask for a single thing. you see, i've watched the previous managers run themselves ragged doing every single thing. i refuse to do that. if we share the load and no one has the out of, i don't know how to do that, then more gets done, and we don't wear any one person to a bloody nub.

but since i'd been told off recently by this person, i went about doing it all. i can do that now since i've shown them what to do and they do it (though the previous gang all trained together, i don't understand how i know more than any of them, but that is how it is).

if i have to do all the running around, restocking milk, pastsries, supplies, i won't be there to hold your hand and provide what you need when you need it.

i had to go to the office and do some stuff on the computer, but i couldn't get it done because the essential key was missing until the shift change.

where's the schedule,
i was asked.

i haven't gotten to it yet. i've been here.
i replied. how this was not utterly obvious, i don't know.

i felt like saying, remember, i'm not the manager. but that would be needlessly rubbing it in. so i left it alone. though it was there and dangling before me.

the person left not knowing what the schedule was because i couldn't get to it. (that is what happens when we don't work as a team). requiring him to phone in for the schedule the next day. not my problem.

so my girl and i are bickering, and finally i pull rank on her and say,
get your shoes on you're walking with me to the library.
so out the door we go. it was a crisp beautiful day yesterday. why anyone would balk at a walk is beyond me.

i don't want to argue if i can help it. i don't want to fight. i just want peace. so as we were walking i realized, this is like running it out of her. she was clearly angry at me, but by the time we returned from our walk, she had released it all.

i rested a bit before work and had removed my glasses. i pulled out of the driveway after carefully navigating the ice at the foot of the stairs (which will remain there until i make it go away). realizing what i was missing, i ran back up to my apartment and grabbed my glasses. flying out the back door and losing my footing on the ice,

aaahhhhh!
i screamed.

fortunately, i'm in shape or i could have really hurt myself. my leg bended back under me, and i stopped my head from slamming to the ground by catching myself with my palm, but it felt like someone had taken a meat tenderizer to my palm the rest of the day.

i have some bruises, and i was a bit shocked, but i had to get to work, so i picked myself up and zoomed off to work. where i walked in and said,
i fell on ice.


the first thing out of my boss' mouth was,
are you okay? you can't get hurt!


i know.
i told her.

last time she said that to me (i had just slammed my finger in the door), i replied,
i'm indestructable.


but i think being tired wears away that feeling of indestructability.

i've finally asked to open on weekends so i don't have ten days of closing in a row. closing is hard work. and i grow weary of it. the other night i sat on the floor and rearranged a large storage cabinet. it took me a while, but i can pack a lot of stuff into a small area. all we have at work are small areas. so i made twice the stock fit in to the area poorly packed stock previously occupied.

i am so short though (and my boss is shorter than i am), i have to crawl into the cabinets to extract the contents. my arms won't reach that far back. so it requires me pulling everything i can out, and crawling in. when i'm standing on a crate and half into a cabinet, this is not a good time.

but all ends well.

how does it?

i don't know. it's a mystery.

No comments: