Tuesday, February 05, 2008

insomniac cafe

now open.

i'm trying not to psych myself out of sleep and seeing as i started back on caffine today, we'll see what happens, but my body feels like a jet plane that is ready to ditch in the atlantic. everyone better just hold on and get their floaties because i'm going down.

zombified is the appropriate descriptive. and i'm still having to function one more day but i can sleep as much as i want tomorrow, until work, that is.

i find out who my advisor is (the waiting is the worst, but i say that any time i have to wait).

i'm not even going to work out tomorrow in favor of sinking down into the covers and sleeping my day away.

i saw bucky. my girl made me hand over my phone so she could take some pictures of him. while i picked wood shavings off his face and scratched him. she attempted to get a good shot. which she did. now he's on my phone. she's persuasive, i'll give her that.

but this morning on the way to the tack shop her dad tells me not to get her pink grooming stuff, but we get there and almost every brush, curry, etc., is pink. she insists she must have a set of brushes for the horse she loves because there's some skin disease and she wants to take care of this horse.

i asked her dad later that night,
when you tell me not to do something, what do i do?


you do it.


exactly,
i said. i don't want to hear it about the brushes. he pretty much guaranteed her getting pink ones by telling her not to. c'mon, she's my kid after all.

her instructor wants to give the horse to my girl someday because she sees the bond.

so i'm watching my girl muck out the stall and she's missing all kinds of shit. so when she comes out, i go in, not in the right boots, mind you. and take over. i proceed to clean the entire stall thoroughly. i'm nothing if not systematic.

so i leave, because i don't want to sit around and do nothing while my kid has a blast, and i'm beginning to digest myself. i eat at the luncheonette and go visit a friend from the old stomping ground.

she's not there but my old d.m. is.

wanna help with grand opening,
she says.

maybe.
i'm such a shmuck.

then i got out of there before i ended up with a swing shift this weekend.

back at the ranch, the riding instructor is mucking while there is another stall to go and it's raining pretty good, so i jump in the stall and make it happen.

my girl is washing out buckets and doing whatever little girls do around horses.

then we went to see bucky, and i'm off to work.

the old guy was in and i said,
how were you on sunday?


he said,
i went home and fell right to sleep.
(i wish)

but he said it was too much work for him.

so we did a lousy close tonight because me and the kid closing are cloing together all week long, and we're just too tired. both of us are exhausted. so i told him,
we're leaving it for the morning crew.


we'll see what happens. but we've got to have help sharing the load.
and i'm much more mellow when i'm fried. but my semester hasn't even begun in earnest and i'm all ready wasted tired.

my girl tells me i should quit my gym and go muck out stalls and take riding lessons with her instead. it doesn't sound like an even trade, but she's persuasive that one, i'll give her that.

all the while, my body exhausted, and i'm shoveling like nobody's business. it makes me happy in some strange way to be knocked out by ammonia and around these gentle souls.

p.s.
i just went to my college website to make extradouble sure i could not find out if i got the advisor i want (i know me, i'll get up early just to check) AND I GOT HIM! the poet i wanted, needed and hoped to study under this semester. he's going to kick my academic ass, but i've been ready for this for a long time.

shit now i'm really going to be awake.

time for a celebratory captain morgan! huzzah! great things ahead. great things.

No comments: