Friday, January 11, 2008

breath units

so part of my take on the poem, on poetry, on writing poetry is this.

grammar serves to help the reader translate in the mind the voice of the poet, or the speaker of the poem (not to be confused as always the same, even in my poetry).

punctuation serves to facilitate the manufacturing of the voice i'm trying to capture, nothing else.

where it leaves this standard, i set it aside.

i have dismantled the sentence to such a point that it may make no sense to grammarians.

but grammarians aren't my audience. may they never be. amen.

real people, speaking in the modern age, living in three dimensions (sometimes more), with active memories and vivid hopes and dreams are my audience.

people are capable of more understanding that we give them credit for.

if the standardization of english is to homogenize a voice (or voices as the case may be), or make it so we can communicate easily (thoughtlessly, i say). to make the reader take a mind off approach to the written word, or worse, a soul off approach.

then FORGET IT.

i'm not going there.

this quirky style i've developed in my blog
has finally made it's way to my poetry. (note, where i make a typeO, like just now using it's for its, of course i want to correct that, my intent is not to look idiotic, but brilliant. ha!)

this narrative voice is speaking from my poems now

and a whole lot of excess punctuation is just going to blow the whole deal.

so, what is to be done?

i'm not sure.

keep trusting my readers is my natural instinct.

to keep believing my voice (which i've found in "legitimate" native writers), is mine and therefore inviolate.

again, i love to hear comments, it makes me solidify my reasons for (or at least find words for) my eccentricties of word and grammar.

so breath units are my take on the grammar structure of a poem.

let me see if i can't make it clear.

if i write with prose punctuation in a poem
there is an inherent formality which is problematic for me
because i'm thoroughly informal.

i'm not sure i can demonstrate what i'm saying without posting a poem of mine, but i'm not doing that anymore, so i have to trust my reader here and leave off the prose (such as it is).

breath units. think about it.
peace.

No comments: