Thursday, January 10, 2008

grammar skool

so, the thing about grammar is, you have to know what you're doing to violate the rules.

if you know the rules, you can break them. so the saying goes.

my brain works in such ways that my poetry is an attempt to keep up. i could excuse a lot of my sins with this logic. that there is so much i'm trying to do, so much i'm trying to say.

but if i won't listen now to those who love me, who will i listen to?

if i don't try to change now, will i just run myself into some rut i can't ever get out of. am i all ready there?

it's easy to catch the grammer problems in other people's work. that is what i do.

but when it comes to mine, it's tough.

my prof is always pointing out stuff like that. dear poets around me do the same, but i can see, so many times, a vision beyond what is there.

does a poem require parallel tenses?

from the position of a confessional poet, i'm not so sure. i'd even have to say, no. everything i know about tenses, tells me the correct grammatical structure is parallel. he wrote, he sat, he thought. parallel structure.

but i'm not inclined to that end in my poems.

even after it is pointed out, i reconsider, and say, i'm sticking with an uneven structure, because it is not prose.

he thought, he writes, he sits. they work for me.

these variations.

will these variations finish me?

perhaps.

am i willing to take those chances?

absolutely.

i guess if i were uncertain, now would be the time to scramble. to change what i've got.

i'm not sure i'm uncertain (how convincing is that?)

but i will always, always, always listen to my friends. to their input.

will i take it. remains to be seen. i need editorial help, but the deal about editing is, the final poem is the poet's alone.

i stand by that.

i will fall by that.

i will fly .

2 comments:

MD Brauer, MD said...

you don't always change when people want to adjust your poetry? Really! Now, that is a surprise! lol

siouxsiepoet said...

so i'm a trifle set in my ways.

i've been called a porcupine. but i'm not all prickly.

your words have made me ask myself why i do what i do. how i do it.

i shall have to blather on about that in the near future.

perhaps i will make sense.

peace.
suz.