Friday, January 04, 2008

under pendletons she lay

so, i went to the stables with my daughter for her lesson and thought five layers on top was enough (a bit of overkill one might have said), but i neglected, in my overmuch henning of my daughter to get her hat, i neglected to get my hat. so the top was off my crockpot sotospeak. and i got cold. my gloves too thin, and when we left i had trouble pronouncing words, that's how cold it was. 4-14 degrees last night. somewhere in there, and i was ill prepared. and paid for it.

it took a long time for my fingers and face to thaw, so when i got home, i wasn't about to run out into the cold again. so i crawled under a pile of pendletons and tried to warm up.

i did read one chapter of my book for school and studied up for the firebuilding workshop i'll be leading tomorrow, but i should not have stayed the whole time in the cold, i realize this in hindsight.

i did get to visit bucky, who had a flake of wood in the corner of his eye, which i removed. he threaded his whole head and neck through his stall bars and i scratched down his mane. gorgeous horse.

the draft horse was nowhere to be found, in another stall i guess.

there is something about the size of these giants that impresses me. something tragic about them being locked up because we have opposable thumbs, and they don't. we devise means for keeping them in.

and i wonder who comes to let bucky out and when.

No comments: