Sunday, March 09, 2008

knucklehead move number two.

my girl is keeping track, though she wanted to see me smooshed in the stall door with the large horse, i wasn't thinking when i turned the most gentle (but tired) horse loose with my girl in tow. the horse, velvet, ran back to her stall and my daughter barely kept up.

why didn't you turn her loose?
i asked (always the obvious question with me)

don't want to form any bad habits.
so bless her heart, she held on. she could not stop that horse, but was okay. no thanks to me.

so, we're learning. or i'm learning, and my daughter is trying to put up with my learning curve, not able to foresee my missteps. but all is well.

i never imagined the most gentle horse would nearly run to her stall, i just figured it would be like every other time. she'd be in no big hurry to get wherever she was going. fortunately it was just a matter of a few steps, ten tops (for my girl about twenty), from the cross-ties to the stall.

but the horse had worked hard that day, and it was pretty late by the time we were done. we were all three of us tired, and well, the horse outweighs us both, so she wins in most cases.

the well placed elbow i hear, will help. but not if you're dangling in tow.

i don't know how i feel about elbowing a horse. not what i want to do. i wish i knew other ways to do things, but i don't.

the last thing i want to do is be domineering or mean.

but i don't want to be foolish either.

i'm tired now, just in from work, eight hours of cappaucino madness. and i could use a rest. i still have two and a half books to read before the seventeenth, so we'll see if it happens.

but just now, i'd like a comfy bed and someone to cuddle with.

short of that, i guess i'll find someway to pass the time.

No comments: