Tuesday, April 04, 2006

the good dishes

my best friend said,
now suz, when it all starts falling apart. remember, we love you. it's going to be all right.


i didn't think it would fall apart (yes, i am THAT naive).

but here it goes, blow out a comin'. i am finally falling apart. we're here, i'm surrounded by towers of boxes and the tears have just begun.

meanwhile, i don't know up from down directionally and i want to nap for about a week.

i told a friend,
God did part the red sea but i think it got packed up and brought here with me.

i've learned the purging has got to continue. i have one dresser and no hanging space whatsoever. i've got to make the stuff go away.

the one thing that pleases me immensely is that we brought only the good dishes. i finally parted with the it's okay if we break them dishes and am using the dishes i picked out for our wedding.

it only took eleven years. what is the deal with that? why did i wait so long to start using something i love? but at least i'm not dead and can enjoy breaking these dishes and buying new ones.

i am determining to surround myself with only those things that bring me joy, that includes friends.

my sister reports she's got a plate and bowl she despises. (i think i bought them for her, but she doesn't remember that) and she can't wait for them to break. i told her,
your first act of kindness to yourself is to break those damn dishes. then report back.

that was our conversation last night. i hope she starts to use her good dishes.

2 comments:

Mary DeMuth said...

lOVED this post.

I use my absolute fave dishes. When we moved to France, I purged of everything i didn't LOVE. I'm so glad I did that.

Hang in there. May the Red Sea of boxes part long enough for you to nap between their towers.

M

siouxsiepoet said...

get this, my sister didn't break the dishes because they were dirty. i told her, that is nutz. why was a dish, then break it? she's such a mom.

yes. thanks mare.
suz.