Tuesday, April 25, 2006

say my name

yesterday i was unpacking boxes (no, i'm not done yet). and looked around the apartment with its retro wall paper, and large wooden molding. i thought, i never imagined i'd be here. never.

i guess i'm still recoving from the shock of such a rapid move. i know God is in it, it is just utterly disarming to be completely, utterly, beyond description comfortable in one home one day, and two weeks later in a completely new environment.

i'm glad He got me here for spring though, it is a sight i've never seen. trees being scant every place i've ever lived.

one thing i told my husband about a week ago was,
i can't be in a room full of complete strangers on sunday.
when i walk up to my little chapel, the priest says,
suzanne, welcome!


with accompanying grin and shakes my hand. the first time i went he gave me a holy kiss. which was unexpected, but wonderful. like God kissed me.

there is a lady there who knows my name as well. and she shakes my hand (they do a lot of handshaking there), and says,
peace be unto you suzanne.


Lord knows, as do you, how i need peace. so i'm grateful for these kindnesses. the familiarity of strangers.

just to hear my name, in warm tones, spoken from someone with a glimmer of recognition is all that gets me through the day here sometimes. this is a very small community and i am meeting more and more people, but the linking of hearts is slow to come. and i do hope for a lot.

i met a pianist at the park the other day. he had an awesome spirit. and on sunday at church, there he was.

the pianist!
i said.

and he smiled and walked over. he uses a cane, so dignified. and juts it out just so as he walks. he wore a fine black coat, and hat. he looked like a perfectly dressed man, as perfect as i've ever seen. and had the sweet spirit to match. he met my husband and was delightful to him as well.

it is getting easier, with each passing day here. but to hear someone say my name, that means more to me than you can imagine.

No comments: