Monday, April 10, 2006

lost in new york

drove my husband to work today and had to find my way out of the labyrinth that is new york. i got lost.

the thing i kept telling myself was, technically, to be lost is to have no one know where you are. i kept reassuring myself, someone knows where i am. although i have not yet found that person.

the roads wound in and around mountainous type terrain, lovely trees. a migraine was setting in. the fun never ends. i kept driving. when i'd look at my map it had no application because the roads are not only named they are numbered. the map in my hand had only names, no numbers. i couldn't find up from down on the map. so i kept looping back around to where i felt least lost. and i prayed.

after one loop, i saw a man walking and asked how to get to the freeway. he sent me on a way i did not know. i passed signs i thought i recognized, but wasn't sure. so i decided to follow his directions.

they led me to a freeway i could not access. i had not specified north as my direction. and i could not find the road home.

so i kept going. i saw a sign that pointed to a town i knew was south of where i live.

i figured when i went to pick up my sister i'd go the most direct path (though it be a bit longer) so i could see what was there, towns and such. figuring this would be helpful information. i'm glad i did.

i headed toward mahwah, nj. ultimately overshooting my home and arriving from the south when we had departed from the north.

i guess it doesn't matter how you get home, just that you find your way home. eh? i am trying not to succumb to this impending migraine as i have to take my sister to the airport and find my way back to my husband's work. at least he can drive us home. and i can succumb to the migraine then. not now. then.

i think that is partly why i had such a hard time with the maps, impending migraine. not sure what it is that sets these off, but they suck.

2 comments:

Mike Duran said...

I always tell my kids (especially my younger son, rebel that he is), the hard road will get you home. Of course you'll be ragged, bruised and exhausted -- but you'll be home. In your case, suz, the long road will get you there too.

siouxsiepoet said...

thank you mike. that was lovely. makes my ramblings almost seem to make sense. bless you dear soul.
suz.