Monday, April 24, 2006

a thousand eyes

awake
O thousand
heavy lidded
eyes, rise
from thy
cocoon
of silk

awake
O dreamer
receive thy
sight, walk
from thy
grave
of dust

arise
O thousand
heavy lidded
eyes, arise
now take
thy flight

...

there is a cocoon high in a tree, draped with leaves and swaying ever so gently in the breeze. the pad of silk still holds strong. through the long winter, through spring rains, the sleeper dreams.

a thousand eyes of intuition we are said to have. mine struggle to open. sometimes i would rather sleep and dream than rise and do what i am called to do. but i must remember the journey leads on from this place. the path with lead me to new friends, new hope, new joy. so i walk each step in faith and trust, always mindful that i do not know and have not seen the end of my days, merely the beginning.

i try not to linger on yesterday, mourning precious losses. rather, allow myself to become acquainted with the strangers who surround me, then meeting those who will cleave to me as i them. though waking hurts sometimes, though rising makes me leave the comfort of my cocoon, it is time.

arise, O sleeper. the day has come. it is time to fly.

2 comments:

Miss Audrey said...

Beautiful poem Suz. Here I am. NO, I am not stalking you, only looking for a friend. I have found one in your though you don't know me. And you don't have to reciprocate, but you will. How do I know? Because you already have.

I'm amazed that you left your home and dared to walk the way of the Big Apple. My hubby dreams of retiring there. Me, I'm at peace in my beautiful Arizona home.

I was born in Upstate New York. Hubby was born in Brooklyn. He's a real life City boy.

You bring out the whimsy in me. Your wandering thoughts remind me of a poem that I wrote for a friend. She was an artist, and she was dying. I wanted to give her something beautiful. By the grace of God, I did. Her name was Jo and she loved the poem. Told me it was the prettiest that she had ever heard. Who could ask for more? Jo's gone now. Sometimes I miss her, but I carry her memories in my heart and it is enough.

TOO SOON WE CRY
Time, a precious butterfly
Spreads its wings and goes.
Necessity bids it to fly,
But where and when? Who knows?
Fly away this day and that
Fly away new moon.
Fly away too oft to wonder,
Did it not fly too soon?
Come back, come back,
Those days of yore.
Come back my butterfly.
Come back my youth, my innocence
I do not want to die.
A song bird heard my soulful cry
And landed on my knee.
I bid you come he sang so sweet,
I bid you come and see.
I saw green meadows and rivers blue,
I saw the seasons of me and you.
I saw our hopes, our dreams, our fears,
And I saw God melt away the years.
Time stood still in awesome wonder,
Quieted the wind, the rain, the thunder.
Then a whisper in my ear,
I am eternity, I draw you near.
In one swift moment I knew it all,
I heard my Savior, my Jesus call.
Spread your wings my child and fly,
You are my own, my butterfly.
Time to you it is no more,
Rest in my Spirit, it’s time we soar.

siouxsiepoet said...

yes.

your poem is lovely. thank you for sharing it. means a lot to me. looking forward to knowing you.

and we love arizona, it is one of the places we hope to return and live out our days.

suz.