Tuesday, November 04, 2008

don't sweat it

i was standing in a field with bitty, the little chestnut, and just kept breathing in the silence. enjoying being there wasting time. time i did not necessarily have to waste, but could not help but waste. i want them to be happy. how does one know a horse is happy. i'm not sure. but sometimes when i scratch her in just the right place, she wraps her neck around me and nuzzles me. today, she followed me through the paddock and stood at the gate until i returned, as i wasn't there to catch her. i stayed in with her for a bit, but she wanted out, that was clear.

so finally, i got her out and grazed her on a grassy hill. she loved it. the leaves almost bare of trees (ha!). all the while, george stood at the gate and watched bitty feasting. i could tell he wanted out, too. (we call bandit george, because he looks like a george--the new farm owner started calling him that and we've all picked up the name, so i think his unofficial name now is george. funny name for a horse, but it works). anyway, i had george out in the field and i could see my girl in the arena signaling she wanted water. so i had to go to the car and get it, george in tow. but he didn't mind. he came right along with me, and i ran my fingers over his dapple skin and broke the mud clots off his coat. it was nice, having my hands on his large body. i hadn't had a chance to handle him since just after we got to this farm because the big young thoroughbred hurt herself and he and her are like peas and carrots. though today, you'd never know he doesn't abide separation well. he was fine today though, oddly enough. i guess hunger changes the stakes. not that he's starved, but the paddock is eaten down, and the hill where i took them is lush and it won't be that way for long. winter fast approaches.

then to catch the old girl.

today was the toughest time i had with her. though she didn't run from me, she walked slowly. i clicked my tongue a bit, and she eventually turned toward me. i held out a little treat i had for her to see, and then she was hooked. she's a sucker for a sweet. so i was grazing her on the grassy knoll, when my girl's lesson ended. the idea was that when i was done with her, i'd put her in her stall to rest before her lesson. but i kind of lost track of time, and ultimately, my girl retrieved her from me as we were just standing in the silence, in the field, she eating, me just there beside her keeping silent vigil.

and it was back to work after that. so i'm glad for the time to be with them. i'm grateful for the moments in the field when time and sound stand still.

and the hawk's white belly greeted me from the trees today.

and it seemed everything would be all right.

No comments: