Wednesday, November 12, 2008

the little shit

is what i keep missing. it's not little in the scheme of my life, but little in the larger picture. my boss snickers away, because i seem to miss one thing every day or so. which isn't a lot, except that it means i spend most of my time driving around picking up the little shit from other stores. i walk in and say,
it's me, i'm the one who does the orders.

and the other night, late, i walked into a store and this sweet little hispanic woman whom i've met only one other time, she reminds me very much of my grams, put her broom down, took off her gloves and walked directly at me. she stopped short, and i said,
were you going to hug me?

yes,
she said.

go ahead,
i said.
and she did. she was so sweet. people like that make me love my job. she doesn't know me, but she treated me like family. that is what i appreciate.

and i walked into another store where a dear girl i adore works, and she leans over the counter and puts her cheek out to me, so i kissed it.

it's such a wonderful group, these kids, these strangers who are rapidly becoming family to me. and i'm told there are some wonderful things planned soon, and i should hold on.

some higher up said i should go to other stores, and my boss said,
she's mine.
which made me smile. it's nice to be wanted, for people to value the work of your hands. i think because my boss can leave the store in my hands and not sweat it too much (until i have a question, that is).

but we're pulling it all together and we're going to work through the tough patches. it's all good.

i'm tired, but i have schoolwork, and my prof said,
you'll be a famous published poet someday, and you must tell me when you're in my neck of the woods so i can hear you read.

i haven't written anything of substance yet this semester, according to my standards, but yet, this is the word i get from my last attempt at a packet. i have to turn another in this next week or so, because i'm horribly behind. but she's supportive and i'm grateful.

then, it will be time to focus on work for awhile. perhaps then, when i'm not divided, i'll be able to catch the little shit that's slipping through my fingers right now.

peace. out.

No comments: