Saturday, November 08, 2008

a gentleman in my corner

it has been a long, long time since i've felt i've had a gentleman in my corner. there is a psychic comfort in the deal. and i'm grateful. in my goings on at my job, i've been meeting a lot of the larger family, and, well, it's been nice. my boss got a lecture from someone who wants me to succeed (though, perhaps he doesn't realize my boss wants me to succeed too). i tried to clarify any misperceptions there, because my boss is a great guy.

a woman came in last night and in the course of the conversation, i just said,
a lady should have a gentleman in her corner.


and she agreed. it has nothing to do with feminism, or sexism. it just is what it is. and now, i realize, i have a few in my corner, whom i'd overlooked.

but after having a few moments alone with this gentleman, my boss came in and said,
you have a gentleman in your corner.


and i smiled.

he said it with a sigh of resignation. there is some history there, which i don't want to know, and perhaps they'll work it out. perhaps they won't.

i hope they do, because i don't like battles in my corner and while i don't expect them to feign nice, like to know there is peace between those i care about. there isn't much i can do to ensure that, but i can try in whatever ways present themselves.

my boss is a stickler for a lot of things, has very high expectations, and we try to rise to those. he's tired, frustrated, and, perhaps, bored, but still trying to make our team into something special, and i give him props for that.

it's nearly time to go to work.

i have a lot of schoolwork to do. and the store nearly demands all my attention. it's something i have to think about endlessly, the minutia is mindnumbing. and my boss said last night,
when you finally get it, you'll be surprised at how easy it was.

i can't wait for that. i'm still missing things, still forgetting to order certain things. and the gentleman from the other store has saved me many times over.

how many times has he saved your ass?
my boss asked.

lots.
i reply.

and i'm grateful. it's good to know there are gentlemen, still.

No comments: