Monday, July 07, 2008

being wanted

it felt good, tonight. all seven hours of it. not once did i wish i were someplace else, time flew by, which meant to me, that i was engaged the whole time.

my new job is the bomb. i am grateful for the trust of new managers who seem to be more healthy than dysfunctional, which is important.

i was trained by a wonderful girl tonight, one with no agenda, just loves her job and loves meeting and helping others who love their job. it's a great environment.

and i got lost coming home, but fortunately for me, my best friend from seattle called just when i got lost so i wasn't alone in the dark. everything looks different in the dark on those windy country roads, so i missed my last turn, and ended up one or two onramps south of where i'd intended, but it worked out just fine.

i'll get the hang of it soon.

and i didn't even get a ticket. my plan was to walk the streets when i got there early to figure out where to park. i did good, parking in a four hour spot, then moving my car on my lunch break to a spot where the time limit ended at 6pm. i ended up right across the street from my store, and the girls risk getting parking tickets so they can park right outside the store, but i'm not that lucky with ye olde traffik cops. (or parking cops, as the case may be), so i'm happy to have to walk just across the street. though tonight i almost got mowed over, i've just got to have my wits about me.

all told, i was home by 11:45, and that's not so bad. i can live with it.

to work someplace, to be someplace, to find someplace where you're welcome, wanted, and anticipated. that is what i've needed. i hated my previous job because everyone was petty. here, there are more mature people in management. i got the lowdown from the departing store manager (who leaves in about a week and a half for seattle).

the new mgr is a guy who looks like an elf. he seems nice enough.

the place could use some help, but they have an industrial dishwasher, so i won't have dishpan hands anymore. huzzah!

that was the hardest part, i think, always having my hands in that hot dishwater, i kept overheating.

but not so much tonight.

so the first thing they do when i arrive is hand me a key to the safe, give me digits, and i'll get my store key friday when the departing shift leaves.

trust. welcome. warmth.

the commute is worth it all.
i'm so relieved.

peace.
and i mean it.

No comments: