Friday, July 11, 2008

i am no eagle

but i would like to be someday.

the chief came to my poetry reading on tuesday. he knew a few of the people there, i guess you don't get to be who you are and not meet a few people along the way.

and now, he plans to start writing some things down, he says.

which makes me happy. writing is infectious. he puts it,

the only chiefs who get the time to look for eagles are the ones that live in the clouds with them.


which also makes me smile. it was a good, strong reading night, the other. it has been so long since i've just been able to read with no real baggage. i could have read longer, but i didn't have an agenda, and i don't know how much of my work to subject people to in one sitting.

but there was at least two poets there who made themselves known and will likely join us for future meetings/readings. which is good. we need to work on delivery, but that will get done. and our fall reading (seems like we'll be doing these quarterly), will be in october. i'm looking forward to it.

ah, and the good news is, last night at work i met a musician, who also has a recording studio. his rates are reasonable and i'm going to try to get together with him to do companion cds of me reading my works. these are very effective. i listen to galway kinnel all the time. though i don't know that my stuff is the kind of thing you'd listen to repeatedly, it is probably something to hear me reading it.

i told the musician, i was just going to crawl in my closet with a tape recorder, and he laughed.

i meet many musicians and artists, because i notice long hair. i always have. the longer the better in my book. and rare the man who can make a living with his colors draped down his back, if you know what i mean.

so, it's nice to still be meeting long hairs. i've always had a soft side for them. they remind me that i'm not alone in the world, others are trying to find their way as well.

that's all. i'm off today. workout. laundry. maybe let my daughter swim (but the water is freezing, i don't know if she can handle it, maybe she can). i still can't swim, next week hopefully, but not for sure.

peace. out.

No comments: