Friday, August 01, 2008

arms of love

so, i'm thinking i've got a good hour and a half at the phoenix airport, and since i like to waste no time, my dear friend from high school whom i haven't seen since i was fourteen or fifteen (we were just kids!), is going to meet me and my girl.

today she says,
you do realize you're flying in to terminal 2 and out of terminal 4?


uh, no. didn't even occur to me to look.

well, add in one terminal change and that equals no time for visiting. i'm bummed. i thought it would be a simple matter. but my dear friend is going to shuttle me and my girl to terminal 4 and walk us to security, we will relish whatever time we have together. and i'm so grateful.

i've always been blessed with exceptional friends. i don't know why.

i don't "deserve" it. it just happens, and i'm astounded by my friends all the time. on a regular basis. they are the most kind, decent, loving people. and it strikes me funny that they are saddled with me as a friend in return. i can be the most forgetful, selfish one in the whole bunch (and i think, on most occasions i am).

but, i'm grateful. friends are a gift you give yourself (a friend gave me a magnet that says this. it is very true).

they heal my soul. my scarred soul. and i am grateful beyond words.

so the long night has begun, it's 12:38 and i've got a mildly sore back from work. hauling garbage is tough (you'd be amazed at how heavy coffee grounds can be). and i don't make the boys do it, i figure, i'm strong. i can handle it. and so i do.

tonight the guy i had the kill someone conversation with came in. i saw him in the middle of the line and hollered,
hello excavator
(that's his profession).

last time he came in, i told him how i rifled through my mind to figure out when i told him i was a writer.

when you wanted me to bury someone for you.
he said.

and i smiled.

he's a very nice man.

anywhoo, i never remember people's names.

so, tonight i do. i call it out. a moment of clarity in an otherwise cloudy group of faces that pass through my day.

and when he makes it up to the register, he's got some tough new jersey broad on his arm, and she's not happy.

(can't imagine why)

anyway, i get their drinks, and he doesn't utter a word. funny how a man acts when his woman is strutting her stuff and feeling threatened.

so i go to take out the garbage, and i thought about not going my usual route, which is around the front of the store, because there he sat with his girl at his side. and i thought, no, i'm going to do what i normally do, because there was nothing wrong with my saying hello.

so i take out the trash, round the corner, and pass them by without saying a word. we have this handicapped ramp i had to walk up, and as i turn back toward them to enter the store, i catch a glimpse of her evil eye.

she was giving me ojos to scare the dead. (or make me dead, one of the two).

i guess, if i had gotten her vibe before i said hello, i may have taken another route. now, i'm just acting normal, and i can see she'd piss a circle around him if she could.

and it made me kind of laugh.

i've never been the jealous type. even when women were hitting on my husband right in front of me. because the bottom line is, what's mine will come to me. if it stays, that's fine. if it goes, so be it. nothing can be done about who goes where and with whom. i'm weird that way i guess.

i should probably leave off this topic now, as fraught with peril it is.

i'm all yoda at a quarter to one, what can i say.

it's late. i'm going to shower, load the luggage, and try to stay awake. maybe i'll watch a movie, but whatever i do, it won't be for long. today's journey has just begun, and that's a weird feeling.

peace out.

No comments: