Tuesday, September 02, 2008

never a day off

tonight i only have to go in for a few hours, but they are closing hours, so i have a lot of work to do when i'm there. i'm just fried, but then i try to remember, we're all fried and it will pass. this is just a season.

the new farm is gorgeous. the stalls are huge compared to the previous. the grounds are gorgeous and the fences are all in tact. which makes me smile. they could use some paint, but fresh cut timber lines every paddock and field. that makes me happy.

my friends were glad to see me. that makes me happy.

the owner seemed friendly. she shook my hand when we met, and wasn't put out. that makes me happy.

the place is home to lots of natural horsemanship types, so i can see a bit more of what i'm after, where i'm headed.

the stalls are in a different configuration (at least the ones my friends are in, so they can't see each other as they once could). i was able to help them adjust slightly with my presence. that makes me happy.

but by the end of the day, i was fried. and wanted to go home to sleep. we gave them baths, after i watered them by hand, because it was a hot morning, relatively speaking, and their water bucket in the field was mucky. so i dumped it and carried buckets to them, very rebecca of me. it was hard work, but they were pleased, and that makes me happy.

they ran into the field and circled and kicked and played, they did not have the space to be turned out in a big herd, and now they do. only after they'd run a bit did they find the water hole in the middle of the field.

the thoroughbred entered first, then barnaby, kicking the water, licking at the soup they were creating. i was sure one of them would lay down in it, when bitty, the littlest pony entered the water and dunked her belly down into it. she didn't stay in it too long because the others were really tossing up the water. but she came out and bandit wandered in, kicking away. then she got in again and lay down in it.

when they moved out of the hole, bitty rolled. i'm not sure what else went on because by then, i had to catch my girl's lesson. she cantered on velvet today, her first time off the longe line. which she enjoyed. and i was glad to see.

then, we bathed velvet and retrieved the others, bathing them all, one after the other. by the time we were finished, and i was wiped out, the owner and a friend were waiting for nicole to go on a trail ride. she had to ride western and i wished i could have watched a bit more than i did. she's a proficient english rider, but she looked a bit out of place today, and it was just sweet.

i have no cell reception there, and this makes me happy.

i have to go to work now, but i've had a nap, and my headache has abated. this makes me happy.

that i am strong enough to do the work i do, makes me happy.

easing my friends first day at their new digs, was an honor i dreamed not of. i think a couple familiar faces was helpful.

though i did turn barnaby lose and he bumped into nicole, a failure of communication there, and i wished i'd been able to tell what was going to happen there. lots of commotion with the small herd in the big field. but nicole was gracious, as always. and this makes me happy.

off to work again...

No comments: