Wednesday, September 10, 2008

two hundred year old porches

yesterday, i wasn't wasted tired when leaving the farm so we called our ny friends and agreed to go over their house and to a meeting with them. the meeting was for little girls, and i wasn't there to lead the thing, so i went out to sit on the porch. the upright position proved a bit much for me, once the sitting begins, even with a 20oz coffee, it's tough to maintain it. i slumped, and finally stretched full out on this old porch.

it was so old, i could smell the aged wood. the thick boards beneath me, and the double entrance pointed out by my friend, we were at an old quaker church built in 1790. the men and women used to enter separately. i looked at the scuffed off paint on the porch (probably lead--without a doubt, lead), and lay there and read. when the book became heavy, i put it on my chest and looked up at the trees.

if only i had my bandana, i wished, as i've taken to using a bandana across my eyes to block the light out, so i took a swath of hair and draped my eyelids, and it was dark and peaceful on the old porch, and so i drifted off into near sleep. i was completely relaxed and could feel people arriving to pick up the girls because the boards would sway just so, beneath me.

then my girl and her friend came out, and were laughing because i was passed out on the porch. but it was comfortable, and i was in need of a rest. and so we left, drove through lovely foliage all the way to our friend's house. the girls played a bit, and then we went home.

we were there to register for a sleepover at an aquarium in connecticut. (did i spell that right? who knows!). i'm looking forward to that. i'm told i can sleep wherever i want, and i'm not sure where that will be, hopefully some place quiet. it's not until january, but i'm sure looking forward to it.

i'm going to try to go work out, then have to make my way to work. but i had a restful day off and it looks like i'll consistently have some actual days in a row off again soon.

peace. out.

2 comments:

Eliza Shane said...

Back in 2001, my girl and I spent the night at Sea World. We slept in the Beluga Whale encounter. I tell ya... what a night light :-)

siouxsiepoet said...

exactly, so if it doesn't completely freak me out, i'd love to be by manatees or something sweet, the sharks are dear to me, but not necessarily what i want to wake up to in the middle of the night, or fall asleep beside. something creepy about it.

anyway, looking forward to it.

peace my friend.
suz.