Tuesday, June 03, 2008

silence

in the rush and hurry of my life, there are these photo image moments of utter and complete silence.

the horse grazing in the field, the look of contentment on my daughter's face.

no grinding of metal on metal, or alarms sounding, or phones ringing, or cars whizzing by. just silence.

the swish of a horsetail and the rasping of hairs as he bats the flies away.

the warm sun licking my shoulders, the cooling breeze tickling the weeds.

and these are the moments i begin to believe again.

i'm not sure in what. or why.

but i know, something some reason some purpose has to be in place for all this to be. the goodness of these moments.

and i look forward to the coming hard work of the week, the writing of my essays and finishing off my semester.

today as the horses followed me around the paddock, i walking the interior for the first time, they followed a step behind me, one right beside, with me all the way.

and horses have this way of utterly accepting where you're at.

your limitations, your foibles.

sure, they'll get their way if they can, but who wouldn't. it is no slight to their nature that if they see an open gate they'll slip through it. i would.

there's too much grass out there and the flies are thick in here.

sometimes, all we can do, is wait for the one with the power to undo the latches.

No comments: